Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacker

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pleasehelpme3

pleasehelpme3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

Someone needs to help me. My father and I no longer speak and he bought me this computer. When I was younger he installed a logger on my other computer where he could read all of my AOL conversations, see the websites I visited, etc. When I was home over winter break he went onto my computer and I don't know if he did this again... Someone keeps changing my pictures on websites and has been reading my online conversations...

For an example as to how I know they are reading my conversations - I was missing a camera of my friends and I talked to her on AIM about it. She got an email about the camera later on that day saying that I had the camera and to keep pressing me to get it back to her.

I have a feeling it is my father, but seeing that I am independent of him and do not associate with him anymore and am over 18, is this legal?

I am seriously thinking of going to the cops with this one... but I need to know, is there a way someone can read my conversations, see what websites I visit, etc from another computer? Are there programs out there that will send him information through an email or something?

I need help!!!

-KF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

Possibly. Probably not on a Federal level, which would come into play if you and he live in different states (See Here. I'd suggest consulting an attorney for the local scoop.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

Member has been given information in Chat Chan and will be posting an HJT Log.

Edited by KoanYorel, 10 March 2006 - 07:40 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

We shouldn't help anyone remove a key logger though. It could be a parent watching a minor child and the story may just be a story.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:03 AM

I agree with Enthusiast. By openly assisting with this post you could be providing the knowledge to another person to defeat the same or similar software for less the legitimate purpose. IMO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

Member is being assisted with malware issues as I noted above.
That's it. End of story.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users