Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Proper Search Syntax and Advanced Operators and STILL Getting Bad Results...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

I even searched this forum for information and noticed that the users her can't properly tag their crap either.

I have lists and lists and lists of search operators and I've got more filters than the actual search I'm performing and still can't find anything even closely related to anything I'm searching for.

Part of the problem I've noticed is that people just put the most random and unrelated crap in their titles/Metatags so no matter what you search, they come up. There's even sites with tips and suggestions for coming up more often/higher in search results (by putting the most obscure and unnecessary crap in your tags).

Is there ANY way to navigate (aside from the advanced search operators and syntax and filters) to get around the crap? I've almost run out of sites to block on my Google account in searches...
Kyle Sardonicus Amadeus Stanfield
Writer, Philosopher, Composer/Musician, Artist
Comprehensive Psychology Major, Troy University
www.impetus-aesthetica.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

I've almost run out of sites to block on my Google account in searches...

Hi -
I never actually search or block "Sites" if I am looking for something, as the "Key Words" in your search are the ones that return the results.
You will find that it is the content that you are searching for, and usually not a site header that has the answer, as you can type Microsoft and get 100million answers

If I type Microsoft Security Essentials or just MSE, I know it will show thousands of results, but the top 2 or 3 are for the Antivirus download or description.
If you type "I want a free Antivirus program", then you will get the largest assortment of responses, as Google has "no specific" place to look

You must understand that it is your "specific input" that gets the better and more "specific output".
I can understand some of your question, as I just was looking for info on a laptop brand, and I started by just typing the detailed make and model (useless)
This was not what I wanted - So I changed to just adding Keyboard after the make and model, and found Ebay / Amazon / Genuine / etc. (still useless)
Finally I typed in exactly what I wanted to know - How to Remove xxx Brand Laptop keyboard - and got the top 5 responses that had full details for me (At last solved)

It was not just asking for vague items or sites, but the actual correct question that turned up the correct response, with detailed diagrams included :)
All this because I finally asked for the correct response that I wanted, and not what Google thought I was looking for -

I know this is a bit long, but so was all the wrong searches that I had wasted 20 to 30 minutes on by not being specific enough -
My basic reply and I found it was the correct way - :hello:

#3 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

I've tried that too and sometimes yes it does result in what I'm looking for but 9 times out of 10, I have to give up completely.

Again, I know the proper syntax (searching for the "answer", etc) and get nothing. No matter how I do it I can find nothing ever. I always have to find somebody who actually knows about the thing that will know where to find the information, that or I have to search for something totally unrelated and browse links until I find it.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

All this because I finally asked for the correct response that I wanted, and not what Google thought I was looking for

As I said above, it is how you ask at times, rather than what you ask to get what You want and not a range of garbage -
Having said that, there are till searches that I give up on as the specific information asked for will not exist
Also, at times, you need to search for the Question to find the Answer (which is always 42 or Reboot) - From the Monty Python movie ""The Meaning Of Life""
So I do agree to some extent -

Regards -
(Note: I sign many answers with Regards, but I doubt that will ever come up in a search)B)

#5 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

Look, I don't just do one search.

Again, my first post.

I USE ALL the tips. ALL.

That means search by question, search by answer, search by key word, by topic, so on and so on.

ALL = ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLK<LL<LL

I don't want to restate that AGAIN.

Don't just assume (especially when I say otherwise) that all I'm doing is a basic search or only doing one type and giving up.

Edited by Sardonicus, 07 August 2012 - 12:59 AM.

#6 ichiban1962

ichiban1962

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Again, my first post.

I USE ALL the tips. ALL.

That means search by question, search by answer, search by key word, by topic, so on and so on.

Don't just assume (especially when I say otherwise) that all I'm doing is a basic search or only doing one type and giving up.

I totally understand you i always get the wrong results when i google Pamela Anderson + MILF...

what was your question?

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Searching the internet is a little like finding a word in a dictionary---you have to have at least some idea of how the word is spelled before you can look it up.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Again, my first post.

I USE ALL the tips. ALL.

I think it's very dilligent on your part to use all the proven tips to focus your search. There's only one problem. None of those tips work because search engines leave things deliberately vague. And even if they didn't, there are plenty of websites that would circumvent that. That's why Search Engine Optimization is such a big business. Many sites are more interested in quantity than quality. This is not something I would spend any time worrying about.

#9 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

what was your question?

If there is any way not listed on these other tips sites that actually works for searching the Internet for some information.

Because none of this works any more:
http://mashable.com/2011/11/24/google-search-infographic/My link
http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/1264/12-Quick-Tips-To-Search-Google-Like-An-Expert.aspx

Here is an example, what could I possibly put in to get better results for this image search:
cute "heavy metal" couple

This is what I got:
impetus-aesthetica.com/bleep-search.png

Replace "bleep" with the vulgar word for faeces.

I mean using these do not work either and sometimes give even more inaccurate results:
"cute couple" "heavy metal"
cute metal couple
cute heavy metal couple
"cute metal couple"
cute "heavy metal couple"

It should be obvious that what I mean is a dating, "in-love" type of couple who are cute but very clearly into metal music. Right? And yet I find maybe 2 pictures across ALL those searches in total that's even remotely related to what I was actually looking for.

I know such pictures exist, there's no way they don't. I mean, it's not something super ultra esoteric or anything...

Edited by Sardonicus, 07 August 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

There was an online course offered by Google on 'power seaching'. http://www.powersearchingwithgoogle.com/course

Maybe a bit of an overview of how the google search algorithm works will help you refine your search terms? I've come to the conclusion searching is more art of 'knowing how most people think, not reality' versus 'actual science of accurate search technique'. But after reviewing that google material I was able to reduce the number of wasted searches by a noticeable amount. This is not to say it will be of a huge benefit for you as you seem to be knowledgeable about search terms. This is more additional information for your arsenal you may or may not have been aware of. Also it may be of a benefit for others who happen across this topic in the future.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Sardonicus

Sardonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

There was an online course offered by Google on 'power seaching'. http://www.powersearchingwithgoogle.com/course

Maybe a bit of an overview of how the google search algorithm works will help you refine your search terms? I've come to the conclusion searching is more art of 'knowing how most people think, not reality' versus 'actual science of accurate search technique'. But after reviewing that google material I was able to reduce the number of wasted searches by a noticeable amount. This is not to say it will be of a huge benefit for you as you seem to be knowledgeable about search terms. This is more additional information for your arsenal you may or may not have been aware of. Also it may be of a benefit for others who happen across this topic in the future.

Thanks, I'll definitely look this over when these YouTube videos finally get finished uploading and I spend half a day fighting to get the tags to save...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users