Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade motherboard without Windows XP Home OEM cd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 sdbuilt

sdbuilt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hello, so I just recently decided to upgrade my 5 year old computer. I am installing a new motherboard, processor, memory, and video card. The processor is going from an AMD Athlon, to an AMD Phenom II. I am not sure what my old motherboard is, but it could not support the Phenom, or really an other newer processor, and it was several years old. It has an AM3 socket? to support an older hard drive?? That is basically what I know about the upgrade.

They wanted to charge me 100 dollars at the shop to install all of this stuff. I decided to make a project of it and install it all myself. That way I can save 100 bucks and buy a nice monitor instead.

I understand that the difficult part is installing windows again. It is difficult because I do not have any windows CDs. My copy of windows is XP Home edition SP3 OEM. Apparently the people at the shop have some CDs that will allow them to upgrade an OEM version computer.

I have already downloaded all the chipset drivers, and I have my Windows key as well. I also went ahead and downloaded off of a torrent an untouched iso file of Windows XP OEM Home as well. The only thing is that it is Service Pack 2. (Is that going to be a problem?)When I insert this burned CD that I made off of this iso file the following screen appears:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP

What do you want to do?

Install Windows XP
Learn More about the Setup Process
Install Optional Windows Components
Perform Additional Tasks
Check System Compatibility

----------------------------------------------------------------

So my question is since I have all the required drivers and keys, and I have this CD, will I be able to upgrade my motherboard and install windows? Do I need to take any other steps? I believe this is called a repair install. Is that correct?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

To the best of my knowledge there are no legal XP Download torrents.

#3 sdbuilt

sdbuilt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

I understand that may be true. However the people at the computer shop had the ability to upgrade this computer without telling me to buy another copy of windows. I figure that if they can do it, so can I. Any help would be nice.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I can't help you and I doubt that anyone else here will either. You've broken the law and violated Microsoft's EULA. If we assist you we will also be in violation. Sorry.

#5 sdbuilt

sdbuilt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think I have only broken the law if I use that CD, if what you are saying is true. I am perfectly willing to hear alternative methods to using that CD. For example if I were to purchase a legal copy of the OEM version off of EBay. Would that be the same thing as what I downloaded and have currently burned? Or if there is a way to find the installation files on my hard drive, which I read a little bit about already. Or maybe there is another method I am not aware that will allow me to not have to reinstall windows?

Edited by sdbuilt, 06 August 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

<<I think I have only broken the law if I use that CD, if what you are saying is true.>>

Hmmm...yes and no. You have violated Microsoft's EULA by virtue of downloading copyright material which is not intended for public distribution to the public...free. There are no "free downloads of Windows XP" available to the public, there are no downloads of the XP Recovery Console which are not construed by Microsoft to be a violation of their ownership rights.

Since, by definition, any such download is illegal...and was prepared by/hosted by someone who may have tampered with the contents...you also face the risk of installing malware of some sort unknowingly on your system...with no legal recourse to anyone for assistance if such should prove to be the case.

This is in direct conflict with BC's forum rules, a link to such is in my signature.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

<<I am perfectly willing to hear alternative methods to using that CD.>>

Well...that sounds to me as if you think that we have to convince you of some way...to achieve your goal. I hope that I've misinterpreted that comment.

I'm not about to run through the list of various ways that one can legally install/use Windows. Google has so much more info on that...that I don't want to appear to think that I can do a better job of enumerating alternatives. Based on what you stated in your initial post...that $100 offer may have been reasonable, assuming that you obtained a new, valid license as part of the deal.

You should also be aware...since you changed the guts of the system...Microsoft considers that a completely different system than the once for which you have a valid license to install Windows. Techincally, they have the right to refuse PA for that license, should you try to use it with your new components, new install of Windows. I cannot say for sure that they would do such...many of us have changed a component or two and had no problem reactivating the license for Windows. But your changes are much more comprehensive and I would not expect that license to be able to be transferred...to an obviously distinctly different computer system.

But I've been wrong before...you can try whatever you like.

If you have any questions that do not deal with the legality of using a downloaded version of XP...feel free to send me a PM and I will try to respond.