Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White Square/Blank Area Always on Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BobJustBob78

BobJustBob78

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

MS Win 7 64 bit
New Dell Optiplex 790 System
Just installed two weeks ago - very few apps installed and only a few trusted websites have been visited.

Originally set up and installed MS Office, Adobe Reader, and a few other common programs. Installed VMware vSphere Client. Upon using VMWare vSphere Client for the first time, I first noticed the white/blank square in the upper right corner of my desktop. It has been there ever since, even when I have not used any applications after startup.

I'm attaching a snippet of the affected area of the desktop.

~Bob

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Optiplex 790 PSU failure - Common? <<= Full article from Spiceworks
More recent details have now shown it is a Dell Specific problem -

It is either related to Power Supply Unit (most likely) or Motherboard issue (maybe) - Contact your Dell dealer ASAP -

Quote from Dell spokesperson =
Dell made minor modifications to OptiPlex 990 and 790 motherboards.
Due to the revision the OptiPlex 990/790 system(s) will require installation of either Dell's or an embedded/custom BIOS based on A11 or later on a go-forward basis and will no longer be compatible with BIOS versions previous to A11.

In addition, the engineering team cannot determine root cause without analyzing the failed MBs.
Have you been in contact with technical support to report the failures you are experiencing?

This is not a problem caused by you in any way - It needs to be fixed by your Dell dealer Now -

Edited to fix link -

Edited by noknojon, 06 August 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Frankly...I'd suspect a video function problem, if the only thing troubling you is related to video.

I would uninstall the current video drivers...then reinstall same.

Louis

#4 BobJustBob78

BobJustBob78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thank you for the comments/suggestions. I checked the BIOS version on the computer as shipped and it was at A13. Then, I went to the Dell site to look for updates to my system. There was a video update and I completed it, along with one other (don't remember what it updated). After completing those updated and restarting the system, the problem seems to now be fixed.

I appreciate the help!
Bob

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

You did all the work...thanks for letting us know that it's resolved.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users