Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer typng iiiiiii on its own

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 donele

donele

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

My computer has been typing iiiiiiiiiiii on ts own and t also does not tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiype the letter iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii when press the kiey. iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

help!!!

EDIT: I tried to reboot the laptop and it started beeping when it to to the Windows Startup page. I pressed the off button and then turned it back on. When it turned on it went to a black screen that said that the comp did not start up correctly and Launch Startup Repair. It then launched a startup repair screen and asked to restore to a previous point (which i also tried previously. I had to reboot it a second time because it started beeping again and then Norton Utility had to be removed and reinstalled . . it now works fine (after 3 hourse of rebooting). But in a few hours it will start again.
Any suggestions????

Edited by donele, 06 August 2012 - 09:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

That generally indicates a stuck key. Which would indicate that it is time for a new keyboard.

When it is acting up what happens if you start tapping the i key?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 donele

donele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Thank you for your response.
Nothing happens . . it simply will not type the i when I press it. I does not "feel" stuck, it feels like the other working keys. I even cleaned the keyboard with a can of air duster to make sure nothing is under there. Do you think it is still the keyboard? But please keep in mind when I restart the computer to stop the iiiiii's from taking over, it beeps when I get to the Windows start up and states that it did not start up correctly and launches a startup repair eachtime.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

If you give the make and model I may be able to tell you how to unhook the keyboard. Then plug in a USB keyboard and if the problem goes away definite it is the keyboard. If problem still exists with the laptop keyboard unhooked then not the keyboard.

I suggest not trying it without disassembly instructions. The connectors on laptops are delicate and easy to break.

Regards
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 donele

donele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

It's a toshiba satellite L505. Thanks.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

That is a fairly easy one let me work up a tutorial for it and find some images of the harder parts. I should be posting it tomorrow.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

Unless Roger comes back with a better tutorial, I found this one >>
Removing Toshiba laptop keyboard Follow steps 1 to 6 and Be Very Careful at Steps 5 and 6

Regards -

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

noknojon, :thumbsup: that one handles it pretty good. This is how far I got before I had to run.

Hi,
Just above the keyboard is a narrow strip that runs side to side above the keyboard Called the keyboard cover.

Release the latches on the keyboard cover, starting on the right side.
I usually use a small flat screwdriver that can fit between the keys to pry up.
Then Remove the keyboard cover.

Remove four screws.

Release the keyboard lock latches. Those will be plastic that latches over the keyboard to help hold it in place. I usually pull gently in the middle of the keyboard at the top until they pop loose on each side. Note that there may be also be a plastic latch in the middle of the Keyboard on top.

Then as you slide the keyboard gently towards the screen you will see a flat really thin cable that attaches to the motherboard. That cable is held in place with

I hadn't got to the step six part last night that was next. Then I was going to pull out the Camera and take pictures of me removing the keyboard on a similar Toshiba Laptop. Since you found a good tutorial I'm not going to bother.

From the Tutorial

Warning! If you break the connector, you'll have to replace the motherboard.

Being careful and not having to go crazy trying to recover works best. I use two thumbnails one on each side to gently press against and move the locking clip. Just remember to slide it parallel to the Motherboard. I have to say yes and no as regards replacing the motherboard. If all you do is pop the white slide out to far and it stays intact you will generally be fine as it is used to put pressure against the cable. Then you put it together and put some good quality tape over the connector and you should be fine. The problem is if part of it that presses against the cable breaks off. I lost one and could not find it. It stayed attached until I blew all the crud out of the Laptop. It went too, I never did find it.

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 August 2012 - 10:27 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

@ Roger - Thanks -
I also liked the way that you can click on the pictures and get a Good Detailed view of it
The details are for how to remove the motherboard, but Steps 1 to 6 are all we need off that tutorial

Just glad they did not show one of the Black ones (like mine) as the detail would be hard to see -

@ donele - Please post back once you finish and tell us if that helped at all -

Regards -

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

just a note ,i broke the connectors off the first laptop i ever took apart [belonged to a customer /friend ],and use electric glue gun to hold it in place and the laptop works for years afterwards ,no need to replace motherboard ,didn't have as much luck with the power button connection i broke on my own laptop .lol

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

I suspect that breaking a connector is a part of the learning process for most technicians. The ones I had the most trouble with strangely enough were the white plastic plugs with four wires for the speakers. Some of them seemed determined to self destruct. I tried Small needle nose and Tweezers with them gripping each side to help remove the plug and some of them the plastic was too soft and that was that. The newer laptops seem to use better materials.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users