Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Freezes Then Wont Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chimera

chimera

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:34 PM

Hello my alienware area 51-m laptop will freeze and wont respond to commands like At+F4 or Ctrl+Alt+Del. I let it sit hoping it would work its self out but nothing happens. When I power down to reboot the laptop will not boot up. I have power but nothing appears on the screen as if the bios was not loading.

If left alone for a day or two it will boot fine but will freeze again. I found that removing the CMOS battery for a few seconds it will boot up. I down loaded the appropriate bios from and reflashed the bios successfully and that seamed to fix the problem until I tried to play a game then the process repeats; any ideas? Thank you for your time. ľnick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

Did you replace the battery or just remove it? If you have not replaced it try that first. The cooling fan on the rear of the notebook, is it free of obstructions? Have you added any hardware, like RAM, DVD drive or hard drive?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 chimera

chimera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:09 AM

No I just removed the battery for a few seconds.

The fan is not bocked by any thing. Also when I hade the case appart I cleaned what little dust there was from the fan and heat sink.

No I have not installed any new hardware. The bios hase needed to be reflashed for a very long time but I have neglected to do so because the problems were small like a wandering cursor every now and then, dimming displayand, along with one or two other small issues. All of which seam to be fixed after the reflash...

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:26 AM

Can you test the power supply? It may be going bad and failing after it heats up.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

You may want to Boot up With Memtest 86+ and see if you have bad memory just to eleiminate that. It sounds like the Mo Bo could be the issue here. and if it's heating up, which is also possible, You should have it repaired.

#6 chimera

chimera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

Memtest 86 did not return any memory errors. After running the computer would no longer boot. And removing the cmos battery for a few seconds did not work as it did previously. Perhaps it was just coincidence the first time.

I then switch the cmos batteries with this computer but that did not help either. Can any one recommend any additional diagnostic tools that my help me too narrow the problem down?

Thank you all for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users