Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspicious facebook email

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ColonelExplosions

ColonelExplosions

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

I recently received a suspicious email for which I have sought, in vain, for an explanation.

The email was as follows: "(my name and a random assortment of numbers)@facebook.com was recently removed from your Facebook account. If you didn't do this, someone else may have accessed your account. We can help secure your account here:".

Clicking on it led to a facebook page which said that I had to log out to access this page. It seemed suspicious, so I changed my password.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Please Delete the Fake Scam email - If you can, set it as SPAM in your emails -

Do not click on any of the links, or give any information if requested.
There are several similar Scam emails that relate to, your Email account needs updating etc, and ask you for some details or Click on this Link -

Delete them ALL as soon as you see them, and never click on the given links -

Regards -

#3 ColonelExplosions

ColonelExplosions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

There are several similar Scam emails that relate to, your Email account needs updating etc, and ask you for some details or Click on this Link -

Regards -

I would not have clicked on the link under normal conditions. However, the link was sent under facebook's name, bore facebook's template, and also led to a facebook page. I researched it beforehand but could not find any information, and still have not found any explanation for this email. As I said, I changed my password afterwards, but the email, though probably a scam, is incredibly elaborate for a scam email.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

and also led to a facebook page.

Even Scammers have Facebook pages and some fake replicas.
I get a monthly average of several emails ""from Yahoo! email"" to tell me that my details must be updated or they may close my account due to excess use.
100% Scammers, as unless you have a private email carrier, not Yahoo / Windows Live / Gmail etc, they will never ask you to update details for anything

Any email that contains >> We can help secure your account here << will 100% lead to a Scammer seeking your details for their own use, to rob you.

Thank you for bringing this up, as others may read it and know what to look out for if they ever get a similar message, and know to delete it without even reading it

Again Thanks and Good Luck -

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Regards -

I would not have clicked on the link under normal conditions. However, the link was sent under facebook's name, bore facebook's template, and also led to a facebook page. I researched it beforehand but could not find any information, and still have not found any explanation for this email. As I said, I changed my password afterwards, but the email, though probably a scam, is incredibly elaborate for a scam email.

I'll put it this way, If it didn't look like the real thing it wouldn't be very good as a scam would it.
My guess is it led to a looks like a real facebook page.

With so many users, scams abound targeted at facebook users. When I get one from facebook or ebay wanting me to verify my login I know it is a scam. I don't have a login there. Sometimes I think I may be the last person in NJ besides my brother not on facebook.

Roger

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Sometimes I think I may be the last person in NJ besides my brother not on facebook.
Roger

Add me to that list, but I think my wife must on it with all the broadband we use - :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users