Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto Restart running Rkill

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 getting frustrated

getting frustrated

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have a win7 computer that has the Fake.HDD Rouge malware and I have tried to run iExplore.exe, eXplore.exe, rkill.com, WiNlOgOn.exe several times in safe mode with networking and get the message "windows has encountered a critical problem and will reboot in 1 minute" and it reboots after stopping one process. How do i keep it from rebooting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robinson Powers

Robinson Powers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

I have a win7 computer that has the Fake.HDD Rouge malware and I have tried to run iExplore.exe, eXplore.exe, rkill.com, WiNlOgOn.exe several times in safe mode with networking and get the message "windows has encountered a critical problem and will reboot in 1 minute" and it reboots after stopping one process. How do i keep it from rebooting?

Hi! i was so relieved to see that you had the same issue as me... until I saw there are no relies =(.

Im running windows Vista and the virus I have is Live Security Platinum. Instructions im following to remove the virus direct me to use rkill.exe renamed as various .exe files and warns "not to reboot the computer because the virus will restart as well and undo anything accomplished with rkill"

The problem is that the same error occurs that you are having, and my computer auto reboots in 1 minute.

I noticed that there is a application that opens when rkill triggers the 1 minute reboots error that has the same imitation logo of adobe acrobat that the virus used to manipulate installation in the first place. I notice this because it appears on the bottom bar that displays minimized windows.

Thanks for reading, hope someone has the answer! =)

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

There should be a rkill.txt file on your desktop. Can you post that so I can see what was terminated?

#4 getting frustrated

getting frustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

The infected computer is my wife's. I only get to work on it on weekends. this past weekend i was running different named versions of the rkill program and trying different things. by terminating the reboot by unplugging the computer i got an option on the F8 screen to repair my system because it had not shut down properly. in selecting this option I was able to do a system restore to an earlier date and was able to boot into normall windows and run rkill. it stopped a process and I was able to install and run malwarebytes which identified 14 programs and delete them. I will try and get the logs next weekend for you, hopefully the info will help with future versions of rkill. after cleaning the system I had to unhide several directories and files and mozilla would not run(already running message) but I had her reinstall it and I think it is fine now also.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks..knowing the process it terminated will definitely be helpful.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Just a heads up that there was a bug in Rkill that has been resolved. This should not happen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users