Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In over my head on this one...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ipodjockey

ipodjockey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

I stupidly picked up a Live Security Platinum trojan/virus. I followed some steps to remove it involving a chameleon version of malwarebytes and something called rouguekiller.exe

I removed the virus and decided to install Microsoft security Essentials as an extra layer of protection. MSE found two more threats and I told it to remove them. It asked me to restart windows. Now immediately after logging in I get a message "Windows has encountered a critical error and will restart immediately." Then the computer restarts before I have a chance to do anything. This also happens in safe mode. I am unsure how to proceed any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a laptop that is not infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ipodjockey

ipodjockey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Also my wife is wondering if I can get the photos off of the computer before I try to fix it... is that possible... possibly with an harddrive encousure?

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Reboot the PC ,press F8 on bootup

Select SAFEMODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT

System should boot normally and you should see a command screen.Make sure to type this command fast

sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\services.exe

Press ENTER

If the scan gets completed before system shuts down then you should not have any issues on next reboot.Else let me know

#4 ipodjockey

ipodjockey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Tried it once will try again but the response I got was "Windows can not start repair service."

#5 ipodjockey

ipodjockey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Update:

I finally noticed that the bios splash for my motherboard said F9 for advanced recovery.... so I pressed that and was brought to a screen similar to f8 except I was given a new option "repair computer" I selected that and was brought to different login screen from there I was able to do a system restore to august 2nd and so far most everything is working. I'm going to remove all my personal docs and wipe the system to be safe.

Thank you for you help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users