Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem: Inconsistent Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chorcil

Chorcil

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

Good evening,

I've had this issue for awhile, but it's getting to the point where I can't deal with it since I want a stable, consistent connection. I've done a bit of research and troubleshooting and noticed a few odd things. I'm using Win7.

Google tells me from time to time that my DNS lookup has failed, and when that happens, a "ping" command brings up a timeout. I play games online through my router and every so often, I'd be kicked cause of a server timeout. I've done a "ping -n 200 google.com" command and the ping time remains relatively low, but sometimes (maybe 1 or 2 out of the 200) I would get a ping higher than 100ms. Sometimes, I would get a random timeout, but ping behavior would return to its range of 20-50 ms.

I did a "tracert google.com" and I see a consistent issue. The second and second-to-last hop always display an asterisk or have very high ping (1000+ ms). When these two hops do work, this is where the hops usually go.
Second: cpe-075-191-160-001.nc.res.rr.com [75.191.160.1]
Second-To-Last: This one always displays an asterisk.

I've made my machine forget the network settings and reconnect. I've made sure that DNS server addresses are obtained automatically. My IP Address is obtained automatically. I've flushed the dns cache via the command prompt. There's a few other minor things I've done, but all to no effect.

Here are my DNS Servers from running "ipconfig /all"
DNS Servers: 209.18.47.61, 209.18.47.62, 192.168.1.1 (That local address looks out of place, but other friends I've checked have this same thing)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1

If you would like any additional details, I'm happy to provide. I appreciate any/all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi -
Please run a Speed Test on your computer and run it 3 times over about 10 minutes -
Make a note of the Download and Ping for each test, reboot or just go off line, and try again in 3 to 5 minutes once the computer has reset -

NOTE - Please ignore all advertising on the SpeedTest site and only click on the Begin Test in the middle of the screen to start it -

Thank You -

#3 Chorcil

Chorcil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Here are my results. I tested at a span of 5 minutes.

9:10pm Ping: 69ms || Down: 19.69 Mbps || Up: 1.70 Mbps
9:15pm Ping: 68ms || Down: 18.56 Mbps || Up: 1.70 Mbps
9:20pm Ping: 68ms || Down: 17.78 Mbps || Up: 1.76 Mbps

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hi -
Ping is a bit slow, but Download is average to good, and Upload is also average to good if these are normal -
If you wish, we can have a bit more of a look, Not always done in this area, but it may show us something -
Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and Copy / Paste the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved on the screen.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Thank You -

#5 Chorcil

Chorcil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

I couldn't find an upload area, so I decided to put this in spoiler text to avoid the long post. Hope it helps.

Intro
Spoiler

IP Configuration
Spoiler

Route Tables
Spoiler

All Event Log Errors
Spoiler

Installed Programs
Spoiler

Outro
Spoiler

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

When testing a DNS lookup issue, try changing your DNS servers to public ones. Try using the Google ones (use the IPv4 ones) as this link shows: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

However, looking at your other issues (being kicked off online games, pings timing out) you may have a line problem. I also noticed in your pings that your connection how quite a bit of jitter. You normally want the lowest possible, with anything under 5 being good. In your case, your jitter was around 30ms to Google. Jitter is how much your connection varies. Are you using a wireless connection? Is this a old modem/router? Try doing a ping google.com -n 900 from command prompt and then post the results of your min/avg/max pings along with how much jitter you had. Also, try running a test at http://www.pingtest.net/ and post back your results.

I did a "tracert google.com" and I see a consistent issue. The second and second-to-last hop always display an asterisk or have very high ping (1000+ ms). When these two hops do work, this is where the hops usually go.

That does not represent an issue. As you will notice in the tracert, hops past the "trouble" hop will report lower ping times. What happens is that certain ISPs will set their routers up to not prioritize ICMP (ping) requests due to security reasons.

DNS Servers: 209.18.47.61, 209.18.47.62, 192.168.1.1 (That local address looks out of place, but other friends I've checked have this same thing)

192.168.1.1 is your router. That is perfectly normal. Try changing to the Google public DNS servers as I mentioned above.

---

I noticed a couple things in your Minitoolbox report. The first was that there was nothing listed on "Hosts Content". Was this section blank or did you just forget to copy/paste it? The hosts file is important because it shows if perhaps you have a malware issue that is hijacking your internet connection.

Secondly, you have uTorrent installed. Due to the nature of P2P software, they can cause "flooding" of your connection causing high ping times, high jitter levels, and even inconsistent connections. I'd recommend you uninstall uTorrent while troubleshooting your problems.

Edited by NpaMA, 06 August 2012 - 02:13 AM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

Trend Micro OfficeScan Client (Version: 10.6) is listed as your only Antivirus. Is this computer part of a domain or company setup ?
Like connected to a University outlet or as part of your work environment -
Added to NpaMA: -
Even if you use, or do not use, AOL products, you can safely delete the AOL LLC Download Updater application if you don't want it to reside on your hard drive and use memory. In order to delete the Download Updater, hold the Windows logo key and press R to open a run command box. Then type "appwiz.cpl" in the box, and press Enter to open the Programs and Features control panel. Right-click the entry for "Download Updater (AOL LLC)" and click "Uninstall" in the menu to remove the program.

Also Delete > >
uTorrentControl2 Toolbar (Version: 6.8.9.0)
DAEMON Tools Lite (Version: 4.45.4.0315)

Go here and run the Microsoft fix it to set your hosts files back to default.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

The DNS addresses you have configured are for Road Runner as your ISP. Is that right, or is it Time Warner ? - It was AOL once -
Google results for IP address 209.18.47.61 shows hundreds of people unable to access the internet due to DNS issues.

Please do the following.Open Elevated Command Prompt
Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
Now type or copy and paste the commands below one at a time hitting Enter after each one.

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh
interface
teredo
set state disabled

Exit

Now Reboot your computer -

Check your version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for the latest updates now and then at least weekly -

Edited to update link -

Edited by noknojon, 06 August 2012 - 04:27 AM.

#8 Chorcil

Chorcil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

NpaMA Response

Try using the Google ones (use the IPv4 ones) as this link shows: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Done.

"Ping google.com -n 900"
Spoiler

Ping statistics for 74.125.137.138:
Packets: Sent = 900, Received = 900, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 295ms, Average = 24ms

Pingtest.net gave me these results.

Ping: 49ms Jitter: 26 ms
Server Location: Washington D.C. ~300 mi.

I am using a wireless connection, but I haven't seen the quality of it be this bad. I wish I could run Ethernet upstairs, but the modem is downstairs. My wireless router is a Linksys E2500.

I noticed a couple things in your Minitoolbox report. The first was that there was nothing listed on "Hosts Content". Was this section blank or did you just forget to copy/paste it? The hosts file is important because it shows if perhaps you have a malware issue that is hijacking your internet connection.

Yes. It was empty.

Secondly, you have uTorrent installed. Due to the nature of P2P software, they can cause "flooding" of your connection causing high ping times, high jitter levels, and even inconsistent connections. I'd recommend you uninstall uTorrent while troubleshooting your problems.

Uninstalled.

noknojon Response

Trend Micro OfficeScan Client (Version: 10.6) is listed as your only Antivirus. Is this computer part of a domain or company setup ?

Yes, it was available as a free download at the university I attend. I hope it's sufficient as an antivirus...

Even if you use, or do not use, AOL products, you can safely delete the AOL LLC Download Updater application

Also Delete > >
uTorrentControl2 Toolbar (Version: 6.8.9.0)
DAEMON Tools Lite (Version: 4.45.4.0315)

Go here and run the Microsoft fix it to set your hosts files back to default.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Done.

The DNS addresses you have configured are for Road Runner as your ISP. Is that right, or is it Time Warner ? - It was AOL once -
Google results for IP address 209.18.47.61 shows hundreds of people unable to access the internet due to DNS issues.

Time Warner is my ISP, but they call the Internet service Road Runner and sell their packages as Road Runner, Road Runner Extreme etc...It's interesting that many others are having this problem. I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that Time Warner hasn't resolved this issue yet.

Please do the following.Open Elevated Command Prompt

Done.

Thanks a lot for all the help so far. Hopefully, all of this gets resolved.

Edited by Chorcil, 06 August 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

These are now average to very good ping responses, and you may note that none timed out, or no packets were lost -
Ping statistics for 74.125.137.138:
Packets: Sent = 900, Received = 900, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 295ms, Average = 24ms << Compared to your first replies of Ping: 68ms .

I am using a wireless connection, but I haven't seen the quality of it be this bad. I wish I could run Ethernet upstairs, but the modem is downstairs. My wireless router is a Linksys E2500. << Is there a chance that you can plug direct into the downstairs modem for 10 minutes and just see if the results for download do improve ?
Often your connection can be "Shielded" by Electrical or Radio frequencies (even speakers) when you are some distance from the base modem.

Hopefully, all of this gets resolved. << I think it is over 90% resolved, especially for a wireless connection that has so many Steam / Torrent games installed.
If you removed any games that you rarely use and Un / Re Installed Steam then these errors >> The Steam Client Service service failed to start due to the following errors
should not show up again -
With these results showing - Percentage of memory in use: 39% - Total physical RAM: 5609.91 MB (6GB) and Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB - Available Virtual: 3962.24 MB -
You seem to have a fair bit to play with, if you can reduce the usage from 39% to 30% things will be a great amount better -

Just run the MiniToolBox again (no need to post a log) and see if there has been any changes since you have done this work.
Right click > Delete it when finished with it, and also any reports that are left on your screen that you no longer wish to keep -

Thanks for your reports, and just tell us if the situation has improved at all on your end -

Trend Micro OfficeScan Client will always hog a bit of the resources, but that is your personal choice only -

#10 Chorcil

Chorcil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

<< Is there a chance that you can plug direct into the downstairs modem for 10 minutes and just see if the results for download do improve ?
Often your connection can be "Shielded" by Electrical or Radio frequencies (even speakers) when you are some distance from the base modem.

I did this and the speeds weren't ideal. Ping was generally high also.

I decided to surf the web as normal these past few days and note any progress and the situation has worsened. I called my ISP to try to get a technician out here yesterday, but the person never showed up, because on speedtest.net, I'm consistently getting ping above 100ms while download and upload speeds have been reduced to between 1-3 Mbps (down) and <1 Mbps (up). This is all while my DNS servers are set to Google's, the programs that may be the culprit are deleted, after running both anti-malware and antivirus scans with the most up-to-date definitions and returning clean results. At this point, I'm beginning to think that my ISP is the culprit here unless there are other things I can try.

EDIT: Power cycling the modem helps with the down/up speeds, but after awhile the speed quality deteriorates.

Edited by Chorcil, 09 August 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

I called my ISP to try to get a technician out here yesterday, but the person never showed up, because on speedtest.net, I'm consistently getting ping above 100ms while download and upload speeds have been reduced to between 1-3 Mbps (down)

I do agree that if your downloads are now down to 3Mbps or less, your ISP needs to do something.
You were sitting on just under 20Mbps on a regular setting, so unless you have an infection, your ISP needs to "Pull their finger out" -

Please call them again with this information, and be sure to tell them of the early tests, and your current results.
I would be screaming down the phone by now and asking if there are any Major Faults in your area that they need to fix -

Again try to ping google.com or 74.125.137.138 and run Tracert to the same names and IP numbers
Yahoo.com or 98.139.183.24 will usually return a lower speed and ping but is worth trying -

We will wait for your ISP at this time -

Thanks -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users