Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe memory increase

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ShinVon

ShinVon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

My svchost.exe process at one point or another its memory will slowly start to increase over time and if left running will reach over 1,000,000 K. This is not normal for this computer as its a couple years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Have you run full scans with both your anti virus app and MalwareBytes? If not, please do so.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hello ShinVon and Welcome -
I am currently showing a total of 25400K on my desktop from 5 instances of svchost.exe including / Network Service / Local Service x 2 / System x2

Can you please check if you have more than 1 instance of svchost.exe showing, and which is the one that concerns you most at this time -
Malwarebytes Free Download link -
Thank You -
Edited to add MBAM link -

Edited by noknojon, 05 August 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#4 ShinVon

ShinVon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Have you run full scans with both your anti virus app and MalwareBytes? If not, please do so.

Hello ShinVon and Welcome -
I am currently showing a total of 25400K on my desktop from 5 instances of svchost.exe including / Network Service / Local Service x 2 / System x2

Can you please check if you have more than 1 instance of svchost.exe showing, and which is the one that concerns you most at this time -
Malwarebytes Free Download link -
Thank You -
Edited to add MBAM link -

Hi yes I have run MalwareBytes

And i have 11 processes of svchost and its a System one
with services like

Themes
Winmgmt
ShellHWDetection
SENS
Schedule
ProfSvc
LanmanServer
iphlpsvc
IKEEXT
gpsvc
Browser

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

This is not normal for this computer as its a couple years old.

Hi -
I think you will find it is about normal for a Windows7 system - A quick conversion rate formula shows this is no problem at the moment -
This should not slow your system in any way at all - 1,000,000K = 0.119GB and I think your system can easily spare 0.119GB of space.
Most basic Windows7 computers are fitted with a minimum of 2GB to 4GB of RAM and often more. So 0.119GB is nothing at all -

It would need to be using well over 10,000,000Kb (Ten Million KB) for one item to have any influence on any clean computer -
Themes, Winmgmt, Browser etc are normal processes that will take a certain usage and if you do not like them, first disable Themes and see how far it reduces

Can you please list your Active Antivirus program, and tell us how much it is using in Process Manager -

Thank You -

#6 ShinVon

ShinVon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

This is not normal for this computer as its a couple years old.

Hi -
I think you will find it is about normal for a Windows7 system - A quick conversion rate formula shows this is no problem at the moment -
This should not slow your system in any way at all - 1,000,000K = 0.119GB and I think your system can easily spare 0.119GB of space.
Most basic Windows7 computers are fitted with a minimum of 2GB to 4GB of RAM and often more. So 0.119GB is nothing at all -

It would need to be using well over 10,000,000Kb (Ten Million KB) for one item to have any influence on any clean computer -
Themes, Winmgmt, Browser etc are normal processes that will take a certain usage and if you do not like them, first disable Themes and see how far it reduces

Can you please list your Active Antivirus program, and tell us how much it is using in Process Manager -

Thank You -

Standard version of AVG and its barely using any at most all the process together for avg about 30,000 K

Edited by ShinVon, 06 August 2012 - 03:03 AM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:59 AM

Hi -
That would be about right for AVG basic Antivirus -
Have you noted what I showed above for the usage of your processes and how small they actually are once they are converted -

Your Windows7 Operating System alone usually takes more than all those processes put together,

I hope that this solves your concern about usage displayed in your Process Manager, and how small it really is.

Thank You -

Extra - Please just click in the open Fast Reply box below, or click on the ADD REPLY Tab only when you reply - Do not use the Quote Tab unless needed -

#8 ShinVon

ShinVon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi -
That would be about right for AVG basic Antivirus -
Have you noted what I showed above for the usage of your processes and how small they actually are once they are converted -

Your Windows7 Operating System alone usually takes more than all those processes put together,

I hope that this solves your concern about usage displayed in your Process Manager, and how small it really is.

Thank You -

Extra - Please just click in the open Fast Reply box below, or click on the ADD REPLY Tab only when you reply - Do not use the Quote Tab unless needed -

Well when you say that this computer usually has its physical memory between like 30-40%

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hi -
Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and Copy / Paste the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved on the desktop.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please use the ADD REPLY Tab at bottom right when posting the Result.txt -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 06 August 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Download Process Explorer on your desktop.
Right-click extract all the zip file then navigate to the extracted ProcessExplorer folder and double click procexp or procexp64.
Go to View Menu - Select Columns... Checkmark Command Line under Process Image tab.
Under File menu - Save as File Name : System Idle Process
Save as type : Process Explorer Data (*.TXT) -> OK. Save the text file on your desktop and copy/paste the result on your next reply.

Edited by jhayz, 06 August 2012 - 07:55 PM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users