Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office 2003

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 StEvE21

StEvE21

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:55 PM

My trial version of office expires march 31st :thumbsup: and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a product key (big ripoff :flowers: ). Is there any way to get another key??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:51 PM

Steve,

I am pretty sure, if there is a way, that you wont find it here as this is not a site that encourages piracy or software activation hacks. Neither will you find password hack advice regardless of genuity of your inquiry.

I think that the only way to get Office on your computer legally is to purchase the key for it. If you know of any friends who have kids in college or school, or indeed if you or anyone in your family is completing education full time, you can get Office at discount for students and teachers which consists of sending to Microsoft an officially stamped and signed verification form (which is in the box you buy). Once MS have verified that the information is genuine, they will send you the prod key/install cd's.

I'm sure this hasn't been much help but its the only way round your budgetary problem and will keep your copy of Office legal.

If you install a pirate version or one without credentials, you may not be able to get any support or download updates or patches if you have problems and such installations could cause problems with other elements of Windows. Its alot of money for the real McCoy but the peace of mind for having genuine software in my opinion is priceless.

If you have an older version of Office try to stick with it for a while if 2003 is too expensive but whatever you do don't cut corners else you'll find yourself posting more advice requests in more technical areas of this forum at a later date and your Office dilemma will become very dreamy in comparison to the technical issues your likely to face.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I am honest.
Darren

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

There are also freeware programs like "Open Office" which give you most of the abilities that Microsoft Office does and are free.

http://www.openoffice.org/

The above is highly recommended by my friends who use it. I use MS Office myself but if I had to pay again I would try that first.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

OpenOffice.org is a complete office suite, and- - -for the most part- - -completely compatible with MS Office files (some macros need to be rewritten, for example, in converting spreadsheets); you can use OO.o and save in a variety of Office file versions, as well as convert a word processed document to PDF with one click. Unless you are a power user, OO.o is a very good, full-featured replacement, and it is free for the download.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

LOL sorry darren, maybe I shouldn't have asked like that. But thanks for the tips guys. I will try Open Office if I can't get MS office after it expires.

"Unless you are a power user, OO.o is a very good..."
What do you mean by "power user"?
And if someone who uses MS word sends me a document, will I be able to open it with this program?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:52 PM

A "Power User" is one who, for example, has thirty macros in a spreadsheet, with a lot of formatting and linking between sheets; OO.o does not support pivot tables or Word macros, however, and its PowerPoint clone has some compatibility problems.
Another word might be "professional." I am a fairly sophisticated user (one level below "professional" and I have never had a problem with interoperability in word processing or fairly complex spreadsheets. Most users would have absolutely no problem with compatibility between OO.o and MS Office.

OO.o will open all Office files types, and almost all versions of them. You can also use OO.o to create a document, and save it as a MS .doc that a Windows Office user can open. Transitioning from MS to OO.o should not be a major problem, either, as the layout and functionality are quite similar.

As a bonus, you get modules similar to Visio and to Access thrown in.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 11 March 2006 - 03:53 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

Ok, I downloaded OO and I noticed that the printing margins are different than the microsoft word margins. I changed them on one of my documents, but I don't know how to save it so that it is like this every time I open a new document. It takes a while to get it the same, so I don't want to have to keep changing it. Do I have to make a template or something?
And also, I noticed there is a "Save All" button under the "Save" and "Save As." What does this "Save All" button do?

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:08 AM

OPEN OFFICE TUTORIAL
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:37 PM

Thanks.

#10 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:20 PM

"The OpenOffice.org Writer tutorials are currently under development."
Oh well...If anyone else can help while that site is being developed, Id appreciate it.

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

Google can be your friend.

TUTORIAL
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#12 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:16 PM

:thumbsup: I know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users