Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System.exe infected, Windows update and firewall unavailable

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 jcvamp

jcvamp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

My stepdad's computer is infected with a virus. AVG picks it up as a generic trojan horse and can't fully remove it. Apart from saying that system.exe is infected, Windows update was disabled and I had to enable it manually because I couldn't access it in system.exe, windows firewall is diabled and won't come back on, and Internet Explorer keeps going to ebay and other sites when links are clicked.

I've added the files generated by DDS. Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hello jcvamp,
  • Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
  • My name is fireman4it and I will be helping you with your Malware problem.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing.
  • Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean".
  • In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Watch Topic.I suggest you click it and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

• Finally, please reply using the ADD REPLY button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply, unless they do not fit into the post.
  • I will be analyzing your log. I will get back to you with instructions.

Do you have a USB Flash Drive you can use?

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#3 jcvamp

jcvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Yes, I have a flash drive.

#4 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
[*]Select Command Prompt[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.[*]The tool will start to run.[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.[*]Press Scan button.[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.[/list][/quote]

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#5 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hello.

Are you still there?

If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.

If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.

Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 1-2 days the topic will need to be closed.

Thanks for understanding :)

With Regards,
fireman4it

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#6 jcvamp

jcvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Yeah. I still need help, I've just been too busy to work on my stepdad's PC. I'll be trying what you suggested tomorrow.

Sorry for keeping you waiting.

#7 jcvamp

jcvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

Even though the computer is running Windows 7 64-bit, it says that it's not compatible with this version of Windows. I also tried the 32-bit version, but that didn't work either.

Edited by jcvamp, 09 August 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#8 jcvamp

jcvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:31 AM

I booted into safe mode with command prompt. I tried the 64-bit version again; it said it was incompatible. I tried the 32-bit version; it worked. This is the file that was created.

Attached Files

• Attached File  FRST.txt   13.24KB   2 downloads

#9 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Even though the computer is running Windows 7 64-bit, it says that it's not compatible with this version of Windows. I also tried the 32-bit version, but that didn't work either.

You ran this from System recovery options Command prompt?

Install Recovery Console and Run ComboFix

This tool is not a toy. If used the wrong way you could trash your computer. Please use only under direction of a Helper. If you decide to do so anyway, please do not blame me or ComboFix.

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
  • Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Close any open windows, including this one.
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • If you did not have it installed, you will see the prompt below. Choose YES.
  • Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Note:The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you
should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

• Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image
  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the contents of the log (C:\ComboFix.txt).
Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running.
ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may cause it to stall.

Edited by fireman4it, 09 August 2012 - 09:35 AM.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#10 jcvamp

jcvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

You ran this from System recovery options Command prompt?

Yes. When I tried it from the System recovery command prompt, it didn't work, so I tried it in safe mode with command prompt, and it worked.

#11 jcvamp

jcvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Just ran ComboFix. This report was created.

Attached Files

#12 jcvamp

jcvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for your help. AVG shows no viruses. Windows Firewall is now available, and Windows Updates opens, but I'm still unable to install updates.

#13 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to this Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#14 jcvamp

jcvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

This is the log file from Malwarebytes. The download link on the page for Malwarebytes just tried to download a php file. I got the address from there to download the actual file.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.62.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.08.10.03

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Justin :: ALAN [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

10/08/2012 11:01:29
mbam-log-2012-08-10 (11-01-29).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 196004
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Attached Files

• Attached File  FSS.txt   1.58KB   1 downloads

#15 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the program then run it.

Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:

Posted Image

Once that is done then go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

Posted Image

Go to Step 4 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

Posted Image

Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

Posted Image

Please ensure that ONLY items seen in the image below are ticked as indicated (they're all checked by default):

Posted Image

Click on box next to the Restart System when Finished. Then click on Start.

Edited by fireman4it, 15 August 2012 - 01:50 PM.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users