Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

window 7 wont reboot after factory reset using recovery disks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 r-Axe

r-Axe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

I have a dell 5110 with window 7 home premium, my hard drive crashed some time ago so installed a new one, but i didnt have to recovery disks with me back then, so someone at that shop installed a window 7 ultimate on it which turned out to be counterfeit, which i tried to remove by running a factory restore using my recovery disks after taking backup on an external hard disk. afterwards, everything went normal with the factory reset, got my window home premium activated again and the genuine windows nag disappeared. got one windows update and it asked me to restart and i got this message at booting

windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem
1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings and then click "next".
3. Click repair your computer.

If you do not have the disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

i tried factory reset another time. and the same happened after i restarted after that 1 windows update. so now i ve turned windows update off. and i still cant restart my laptop.
i cant go into the windows RE using my recovery disk as it opens up to a dell datasafe page and i cant find any other way, so the only options i have are to factory reset anain and again. there is no option for startup repair or maybe i cant find it.
i ran the dell diagnostics under options screen pressing F12 but nothing showed up, i ran a mcafee scan once on C: drive after factory reset (before restarting and ending up with the same 0xc000000e screen again), and nothing showed up. i also went to check if windows now is genuine or not, and it seems like it is but the product key on the computer properties screen is different from the one i entered at activation (which was on the sticker at back of my laptop).
i read a lot of things about this being a problem of a boot manager or the drive partition thing, but i am fairly new to all this, and much of it doesnt make sense to me.

right now the disk management shows it like this:
NO NAME 94 MB - Healthy(OEM partition)
RECOVERY 14.65GB NTFS - Healthy (System,Active,Primary Partition)
OS (C: ) 581.42GB NTFS - Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

I need help. How to fix this problem of having to factory restore everytime i restart my laptop?
How to do a startup repair if i cant get to my windows RE because everytime i boot my recovery disk i straight away get to the dell datasafe page?
How to open up an elevated command prompt and whats the difference between it and a normal command prompt?
Can i open a command prompt from the BIOS setup?
What are bootrec and bcdedit.....clueless...????
How do i get to the windows diagnostics?
And please keep in mind that i cant get safe mode to work and I cant restart without getting a system factory reset(about 1 hour) and i am not that tech savy! so i might need some simple explainations along with the solution. Help. Desperate.
And thanks in advance.
P.S. I disconnected every external drive before restarting,in BIOS, the usb storage device boot priority is third, first being hard drive and second being cd/dvd/cd-rw. BIOS recognizes the Fixed HDD as SAMSUNG HM641JI which i am not sure is the new hard disk or the old one. Still the same 0xc000000e status is showing at restarting after factory reset.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hello r-Axe -
Your first step should to be to contact Dell and try to get Genuine Reinstall DVDs to match your original version -

Since the computer had a "counterfeit" version of Windows7 installed, that was not even the same version as yours, this will always be a problem.
Have you been back to the "SHOP" that "never repaired" your computer and got at least some type of refund for them wrecking your Operating System ?
These people should be reported to your Police, and made to replace or repair your computer ((if they know how to)) -

Status: 0xc000000e - Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.<< Is often displayed when you are trying to do a reinstall from a device that is not working correctly. In your case it sounds like the recovery console has been badly corrupted.

What are bootrec and bcdedit.....clueless...??? <<< BCDEDIT - How to Use -<<<- - - ->>>-How to use the Bootrec.exe tool
I have very little extra to add that will help you further, but I hope that others will add to this topic with good advice for you -

Good Luck -

#3 r-Axe

r-Axe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

how come it works normally after the factory reset even when it reboots once or twice during the process, but not if i restart it.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

I can only offer you these at the moment -

Computer Does Not Boot to Microsoft Windows 7 10 items from Dell
Verify the Computer Finishes Initial Power-Up (POST)
Check for Specific Error Messages
Run a Computer Diagnostic
Boot the Computer into Safe Mode
Check for Recent Changes
Unplug All External Devices
Use Startup Repair to Restore Critical Windows Files
Use System Restore to Revert to a Previous State
Use Clean-Boot Troubleshooting to Isolate the Software Issue
Restore the Operating System to Factory Settings

#5 r-Axe

r-Axe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

already did the last step....that is when the trouble began

please help.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Did you complete all of Step 10 as per the link -
If clean boot troubleshooting cannot identify the issue, it may be necessary to restore your computer to factory settings.
To restore your computer's operating system and software to the original factory settings, launch the link below:
Launch the Microsoft Windows Reinstallation Guide

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

I have been discussing your situation with James Litten over the past hour or so: We think the issue can likely be resolved by one means or another without too much trouble.

If you currently have the computer running (with Windows 7), then create a bootable repair disk first:
Now, I would like to establish whether or not you are able to use F8 to access the Advanced Boot Options menu, and thereby choose to "Repair your computer" and thence to access the Windows 7 Recovery Environment.
You are apparently able to restart (but not turn off/turn on again ... but I can't be sure of this?) the system without issue, so when restarting, begin tapping F8 and continue tapping F8 until you are presented with the Advanced Boot Options menu. Success?
==================================

Using which ever of the above methods you choose or are able to use successfully to access the System Recovery Options screen, firstly attempt a Startup Repair:
  • How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 7
    Note: "Sometimes it may take running a startup repair (3) separate times with restarting the computer after each time before it fully fixes the startup issue."
If Startup Repair cannot fix the issue, then we will need to use the Command Prompt at the System Recovery Options screen to continue from here .... so if you arrive at this stage, let us know and we will assist.

Note: If you are unable to restart the system at all, then create the bootable repair disk first and let us know when you are able to use it and arrive at the System Recovery Options screen.

Edited by AustrAlien, 06 August 2012 - 10:36 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users