Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard NIC and PCI slots not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ttcole1254

ttcole1254

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

Well I can't figure this one out myself... I have an MSI 865GVM2-LS (MS-7037) motherboard, and no matter what I try, I can't get the onboard network, or any PCI devices to work. Under Windows XP, I get the warning about the driver not being right, but when I tell it what driver to install it says it's still not right. Same with PCI. Under Windows 7, no devices even get recognized (NIC or PCI), and under Ubuntu, it says network unplugged and can't see PCI devices either. I've only tried some network cards and a wireless card in the PCI slots, so I don't know what it is. The board is a Pentium 4 from 2004 or so lol. I forget if the network ever did work. The battery was out, so the CMOS has been reset.

Is there a chance it's being underpowered? I only have a 200 watt PSU installed.

Edited by ttcole1254, 04 August 2012 - 10:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Did you check if onboard LAN controller is enabled? That PSU is also too low for any system.
Manual - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/865GVM2-LS.html#/?div=Manual check for any BIOS configuration.

Edited by jhayz, 04 August 2012 - 10:56 PM.

Tekken

#3 ttcole1254

ttcole1254
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

I figured it out.. and you wouldn't believe what it was.. the SOUND CARD! I swapped the motherboards because I figured it was a problem with that, but then the other mobo would refuse to post. Well I was confused and thought maybe the case was shorting something out. I tried taking out the sound card as a last resort and it worked! Odd, considering the broken sound card only caused some problems with one motherboard, but would make the other completely non-functional. Very odd, but at least it's working :) I've never had a bad PCI card take out the onboard lan before, but stranger things have happened.

I also have a 250 in there now. Not much of an improvement, but it works well for me. I'm saving up for a new core i5 ivy bridge build as my main computer, so I'm not gonna put much money into a Pentium 4 computer from '04 that I'm just gonna use for videos anyway.

Edited by ttcole1254, 04 August 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

Good News! Thanks for sharing back the solution ttcole1254. :thumbsup:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users