Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Configuration

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sinbaca

Sinbaca

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:50 AM

I recently bought a new motherboard since my AGP slot on the other went bad. I had a 9600 AIW Pro and after all of the hardware installations, I came to the conclusion that it was conflicting with my nVidia chipset. I went out a bought a new one (nVidia), but everytime I play Call of Duty 2, Doom 3 etc., it runs so slow and slugish. Extremely choppy. I ran stress test and everything checked out fine. RAM test, hard drive, the whole nine yards and nothing. Should I update my BIOS? I dont really want to do this because it's one of those things that I just rather not touch. Anything that I could be doning wrong? Ran FutureMark06 and got a 251 (at an awsome 2 FPS). Thanks

AMD 64 3000+ Socket 754
Gigabyte GA-K8NS
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
WD 20GB C: (for Windows, AV, etc.)
Hitachi 40 GB F: (for games, all the other non improtant stuff)
eVGA 6600GT 128MB AGP 8x (w/updated drivers)
1GB Centon DDR (512 x2)
350W Antec PSU
3 80mm Case fans (CPU running at 31 C)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sinbaca

Sinbaca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:53 PM

Forgot to mention: AA/AF off. Game settings no higher than 800X600, no shadows, extras, etc. Swaped RAM, no background programs, checked for viruses/spyware, reformatted HD, :thumbsup: dont know what else to do. Was running perfect before my mobo took a dump.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

What version drivers are you using for your 6600gt card? I believe that card needs v. 81.98, but you can also try v. 82.14 which are beta drivers from nvidia. I've heard good things about the beta drivers.

Also, what version of direct X are you running? The latest version is directX 9.0c which can be downloaded from microsoft HERE.

Worst case scenario is that your PSU can't handle the card. The minimum requirements for the card is a 350W psu, and I believe that nvidia recomends 18 amps on the +12v line, and probably recommends 20 amps. I found out the hard way that my psu couldn't handle my nvidia 6800GS, even though it met the minimum power requirements, it woulnd't power the card. I installed it on my sons machine which has a 500 watt psu and it works fine. Needless to say that I had to order a new psu for my computer. Just something to keep in mind if all else fails, it might be your power supply. But try the other things and we'll hope that they work!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Sinbaca

Sinbaca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:05 PM

I am using 8.1.9.8 drivers with DirectX9.0c. Well you might be right about the whole PSU not hauling the card. Would that mess up the card up if I use it like this for a while? (it takes time convincing the wife that I absoultely need more on this PC since her internet runs at blazing speed!) :thumbsup: I am going to probably go get one at Circuit City, try it out and take it back after I see the results. If it is that i'll order it from newegg. Thanks for the help.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

What are the chances of you installing it in a different computer with a larger psu? I'd try it out before I ran out and purchased anything for it....better to be safe than tick the wife off for spending money you didn't need to then having to live the rest of your life hearing her say "I told you so"!!! Kidding!

But see if you can't isolate the problem first, like I did. I put my card in a different computer with a larger psu and it ran fine. Make sure that your new PSU is compatible with your current mobo and that it has more than enough amps on the +12v line. The one I ordered from Newegg HERE has 35 amps on the +12v line. Don't go cheap, like I first did. I got a 400 watt psu for $20..........Unfortunately, I got what I paid for :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Sinbaca

Sinbaca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:55 PM

Well i dont have any other computers and the computers of my peers are store bought (ie, e-machines, gateway) which run a crappy psu. well the reason I said I was going to run to Circuit City is because I have the ability to install it, test it, and if it works, return it and buy one online for cheaper. Damn I am such a scammer. I am going to test my amps with an amprobe tester to see what i am getting too. no matter what we men do we will always hear the "i told you so." i am still hearing it from getting lost on the highway about 2 yrs ago! i guess they think it makes great conversation starters. i am thinking of using an extra 250w psu that came with my case and pluging it in and using just that one for the video card. sounds good in theory but it might still leave me with the amp situation. is there such a thing as a slow processor? a 3000+ seems like it should run games like Half Life at blazing speeds since it came out a long time ago.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:48 AM

Check your RAM.

2 Power supplies in the same box may give you a heat problem.

#8 Sinbaca

Sinbaca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:33 AM

oh yeah and besides, i dont think i have the space to put it in the same box. i was thinking of just securing it outside the case and running the wire in. besides, microsoft ram check, what other program would be a good one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users