Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

really nasty virus blocking my attempts to remove it

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 snowathlete

snowathlete

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hi, i hope someone can help. i dont know what to do.

My laptop has a virus and it wont allow me to run firefox or chrome. IE works, but only partially.
Microsoft security centre detects a threat at startup and says i dont have to do anything, but its obviously not handling it.
I tried system restore but the virus wont allow the app to display properly, its a vertical blank page.
Same occurs when i try to run mallwarebytes (an old version i had in my download folder)
It wont allow me to download any new files via IE.

I found a page that said to reregister some dlls, but that didnt fix the problem when i tried it.
jscript, vbscript and another that i forget.

Any ideas? If i coudl get system restore working then maybe....but i fear that the virus might have deleted the files or something. Where are those files kept anyway?

thanks for any help anyone can give.
Cheers
Joel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi Joel,

Do you have another computer where you can download files?
What OS you have? XP, Windows 7, Vista?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 snowathlete

snowathlete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

sorry, i meant to say: Windows7 64bit.

I dont have another pc, just an ipod :-(

thanks

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,170 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

Hi,

What "IE works, but only partially" means? Can you download files using IE or not?
Maybe the problem with IE can be resolved if you reset it settings to default
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
try to download the FixIt tool if you can't follow the article instructions but don't select Delete personal settings

If you can't download files try to boot in Safe Mode (press F8 during boot) and then install malwarebytes you have on your download folder, let it update to see if it install the last version and definitions, then run a scan.

Edited by Rui Paz, 05 August 2012 - 05:55 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 snowathlete

snowathlete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

well, IE woudld try fall over if i used google, but if i went to bing, it worked. first for everything.
but downloads failed and i could use certain sites like gmail.
then my internet connection failed.

i have made some progress though. i managed to do a system restore via teh F8 menu, didnt know there was one on there.
It has put everything back several months and things work, but it wont have changed any of my personal files, so i guess the chance of a problem is still fairly high. I have downloaded mallwarebytes now, updated it and am running a full scan.
will report what it finds in a bit.

thanks
joel

#6 snowathlete

snowathlete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Before the restore, MSE said it had found Ramnit, which i think was the core issue. I opted to remove them but the problems remained until the restore.

Mallwarebytes has completed a full scan and now says 16 issues found, including:
Adware.Installcore - 3
PUP.BundleInstaller.VG - 2
Malware.Trace - 3
Adware.Zwangi - 8

I'm not really familiar with any of these. I will try to remove these now, but my main fear is whether Ramnit is really gone now or not. I know its notorious for not being easy to remove entirely, and a bad virus to have. Are there any other things i should download and run to look for remnants of it?

thanks

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,170 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Hi,

Make sure you clean all that with Malwarebytes, it probably will ask you to restart the computer, do it and then scan again with malwarebytes until it show as clean.

After doing that download and install Eset Online Scanner do a scan and remove any threads it founds.

___
Rui

#8 snowathlete

snowathlete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

ok malwarebytes found only one, but i only did a quick scan. no time to do the full scan till tomorrow.

I am [edit: not now] running the Eset tool, and its 2% done (hope it doenst take too long) and it has found 2 threats already.

thanks

Edited by snowathlete, 05 August 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#9 snowathlete

snowathlete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

ok finished. it found 9 threats that it has removed.
So, i will run a full scan of mallwarebytes tomorrow, but anything else i need to do?

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,170 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hi,

Does the computer work as it should or the problems with the browsers continue?

Please download and run Security Check by screen317's let the tool run it will open a file checkup.txt post the result on your reply.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users