Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safest way to download

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

I have an Ipod touch and have never downloaded music before. I would like to know the best/safest way to do so. Any advice or a link to advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

I don't have ianything, but everyone I know that does mentions itunes. Also I have read numerous times that Apple is a very diligent gatekeeper for content. So you should be reasonably secure in downloading from there. This would be my suggestion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Thankd for the info. I had heard the same. I have heard of people getting viruses from some of the free sites.
On a different subject. I noticed your avatar (I think that is what it is called anyway) and wondered if it is possible for someone to infect someone elses machine using animation? Through your flash player or something. To be more clear, could someone do something to corrupt another persons machine using macromedia? I may not be using the right terminology but, maybe you get what I am trying to say. Thanks again.

#4 ichiban1962

ichiban1962

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

Thankd for the info. I had heard the same. I have heard of people getting viruses from some of the free sites.

Nothing is totally free as you said many sites offer music to gain access to you pc/laptop to possibly infect you with malware or trojans!

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

The "Safest" way to download virus-free music is to stick to legal sites. Usually this means you pay commercial rates for the songs. This means staying away from torrents, peer-to-peer sites, and blogs that offer commercially available music for free. It also means avoiding sites that offer songs for a few cents. If it seems too good to be true ... it probably is.

I don't have an Ipod but several members of my family do. The big advantage to Itunes is how well it integrates with the Ipod, but you can still buy music from Amazon, eMusic, etc.

You're more likely to find legitimately "free" music if your tastes run a little broader than Pop and Rock. Netlabels like Kahvi and Jamendo offer music under a Creative Commons license (no cost for non-commercial use).

Also, many groups allow taping of their concerts and these are available for free (legally) at Archive.org.

#6 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info.

#7 Mr.ArnOld

Mr.ArnOld

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Hey, I noticed you're really into the legal sites, but you should know about another great way (and it's also what I'm using)-torch browser. it's got an add-on for downloading any video from almost any site, and then you can convert it to MP3 format and load to your iPod.

#8 sierrachello

sierrachello

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

does it work?

Edited by sierrachello, 18 May 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#9 ViroDox

ViroDox

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

You could be on the borderline of legal, as long as it's for your own personal use by finding the song on youtube and then downloading it as an .mp3 using http://www.flvto.com/ (Easy way to keep a bunch of songs you really like).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users