Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attachments Marked Aol In My Outlook Xpress Emails

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:56 AM

I closed my AOL account a month ago and now use OE.

I am finding that many, but not all, of my received emails have the paperclip icon which turn out to be marked AOL with some number and the attachment is a copy of the received email!

How do I get rid of this feature as I think it is adding to my download limit?

Thanks for any suggestions.
XP SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:02 PM

Did you perhaps have your AOL mail forwarded to the new account?
Is the attachment the same as the body of the message received?
Does the E-mail appear to be from AOL or from the original sender?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:05 AM

jgweed - thanks for your response.

Nothing forwarded from AOL.
The attachment is a replica copy of the received email and is from the original sender not from AOL.
Hope this helps.

Any light you can throw on this will be appreciated.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

What is your new ISP?
If you look at the E-mails on-line, do you find the attachments?
Sorry for so many questions, but I am just trying to eliminate some causes.
Can you think of any characteristic shared by the E-mails NOT having attachments (origin, date, etc.)
Thanks
John

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:56 AM

John and jgweed

I must make an apology as I probably have been hallucinating.

When I went to make a list of the emails which had attachments and those without, to see what the pattern could be I noticed that what I remembered the description to be in the form AOL00108.htm(5.01KB) is now or always was ATT00108.htm etc.! So nothing to do with AOL! But...

Those attachments are still there in a seemingly unrelated way and now I see that they are there in my SENT emails as well which I'd like to get rid of.

Examples:
With attach: - ebaymember; PCAdvisor; FriendsReunited; Pipex Tech Support; east.sussex.gov

Without: - ebayUnitedKingdon; Mailer-Daemon; BleepingComputer; contactus@royalmail; Supanetoffers; support@support.lycos

I am looking at these online.

Hope this gives you a clue.

Edited by zzzz, 11 March 2006 - 09:57 AM.

#6 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

I have similar situation as you zzzz
John, would I be right in thinking this occurs when OE is set to receive in plain text, but the sender uses HTML?
I'm sure I read this somewhere? I also seem to remember reading that AVG can do this - it sees attachments that are only the body of the text, and can be dealt with by switching off email scanning. (if you wish to!)
I'd be glad to hear whether you think I've remembered this correctly!
Luci2a :thumbsup:

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:00 PM

Well I've found something which relates to your recall.

In issue 182 page 86 of Computeractive magazine (Feb 2005) 'No Problem' page, there is a letter (Suspect attachment) dealing with this problem but although the query asks how to get rid of them, this question is not answered!

But it does say (as you intimated) that this is due to the way O.E. shows messages that have been sent with formatting rather than plain text. These emails are sent as mini web pages and so the email is shown with the page as an attachment.

This is perhaps the O.E. settings are to view messages as plain text. I'll look into that.

Thanks for your response.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

It's been a while since I used OE, but I don't remember that changing the default to "plain text" did anything more than cause some of the text formatting to come as attachments; it certainly did not cause OUTGOING E-mails in plain text to include any attachments other than those I myself attached.
I don't think it is AVG, since some have and some do NOT have identical attachments.
It may just be how your E-mail service, or new ISP, handles certain kinds of E-mails. I would certainly, though, take a look at the personal preferences that you have in OE, as well as any you might have at the E-mail service. You might also want to set up either an Yahoo Email account, or a Gmail account and experiment with how those two handle these E-mails.

Regards,
John

#9 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for your replies John and zzzz.
I don't really worry about this - just found it interesting. I haven't noticed this appearance with outgoing mail either, but I have unchecked the "reply to mail in the same format in which it was sent" - I don't know whether or not that makes any difference.
I can also access my mail via Hotmail or BT Yahoo, neither of which shows any phantom attachments, but I've just noticed that Outlook (not OE) does report AVG certification as an attachment. I guess I could switch off that function in AVG if I was worried.
Thanks
Luci2a :thumbsup:

Edited by luci2a, 14 March 2006 - 02:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users