Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folders being converted to .exe files Win32/CRYPTOR

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TushKal

TushKal

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hi,
I use Nokia N900 cell phone with a 16GB memory card. 3 days back, I connected it to a friend's laptop to take some movies. When I checked my phone sometimes later, the file manager was showing all my folders as folder.exe with a question mark (as the phone doesnt understand .exe). I understood that it has to be some infection, so I connected it to my PC at home and scanned with AVG 2012 free. It showed 40 infected files (all named as my previos folders.) I cleaned them but after cleaning, the folders were no more in my memory card, neither was my data. Well, most of it was songs and movies that I could make available somehow, the DCIM folder had camera pictures, and they were what I care most. I used PIRIFORM Recuva to scan the memory card. It gave me most of my pics, so no worry in that direction as well.
But, to avoid such thing happening again, how to clean such kind of infection without risk of losing the data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

There may be no guarantee you can.
You can try Safe Mode.

With all malware removal Backup your data!

Regardless of whether or not you have a malware infection, routinely backing up your data should be an important part of every computer users life. Whether it be a hard drive that has failed or malware that has caused your computer to become inoperable, not having your files, pictures, email, and music can be a disaster. We therefore suggest that before we move forward with this cleaning process, you first backup your data to a secure location. That secure location could be a burnable DVD, an external backup drive, or another computer. I have listed free backup software that you can use below:

Cobian Backup
DriveImage XML
Microsoft Backup for XP
Vista Complete PC Backup

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TushKal

TushKal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

Thank you, boopme.
Well, Data may be backed up or may be recovered later.
My query is if a folder is converted to exe file due to infection, how can we reverse it? Or how can we remove infection so that the original folder is available again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users