Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zrmjsr

zrmjsr

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

My computer will barely load up the internet, and then will not move from the home page. It is very very slow. I can use WordPerfect and a couple of other programs. It seems to be the web that is the problem. I tried to download some new spydoctor software to remove any spyware but it will not load up from the CD. I have run the programs that were on my computer to remove any problems. These software packages are not up to date, (sorry). I could probably get a Hijack Log but I would have to bring it to work to attach it to you. Someone has suggested to me to restore the computer but my kids have ipods and I hate to wipe out the music database from them. Is there anything you can do to help me with this? I am sorry if this isn't in the right location. Thanks so much for anything you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:58 AM

It does sound like your computer is exhibiting signs of being infected. It may be too late to try to install software to remove the infection, depending on what it is.

Of course, I don't know if this is true in your case, but sometimes kids download music from sites that send them infections. Or, they get music from their freinds that is infected because of where the friend got the music from. At least that is a main source of infection.

Once you get one piece of malicious software on the computer, then you usually get several more until the computer barely works anymore as all of the resources are eaten up by a lot of crummy software running on your computer, and it no longer will do the work that you bought the computer to do in the first place.

Your options are:

Back up all of your data and then wipe out the hard drive and reinstall windows.

Or, you can get help from the folks in the High Jack This forum for help in removing the infections, or at least in diagnosing what infections you have.

Please let us know if you decide to wipe out the data on the hard drive (btw, formatting is not enough!) and we can walk you through this step by step.

Or, for help with removing your infection I would like to refer you to the Highjack This (HJT) forum here at BleepingComputer.com:

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within. (There are many important steps in this guide that may clean your computer.)

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait for a response. It can sometimes take a few days.

Third: If, after finishing your work with the folks at the HJT forum you have issues with XP related to the removal of the infection, then come back in here and let us help you get your computer back to normal.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 zrmjsr

zrmjsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

Thank you so much and I will be working on this over the weekend. Thanks, again. I love this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users