Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toolskit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bashan

Bashan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

I'm taking an online course in PC repair and would like to get a better toolkit started. I don't mind spending some bucks but of course don't want to waste money and get a bunch of stuff I don't need. I would appreciate suggestions y'all might have on the following or more:
  • What bits do I need?
  • Pliers, cutters
  • Do I need soldering gun?
  • Hardware like screws and fasteners....kit maybe?
  • Diagnostic cards....kit maybe like PC-Doctor?
  • Is there a kit that includes all of the above?
Thanks, Bashan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

newegg does have some kits, I prefer to build my own, because each persons needs are different. I personally, would have one of those magnetically tipped screwdrivers with a large handle, and changeable bits. The changeable bits means you dont have to carry a LOT of screwdrivers and saves room in the kit, and the magnetic tip (make sure its not a super strong one, just light magnetism) is great for getting screws out of tight spots or finding them once dropped. and maybe a small pack of mini screwdrivers for the tight spots, but no necessary. I personally, never do any soldering so a soldering gun isnt necessary, if you plan on doing soldering it may be a good idea. I also normally carry a disc carrying memory and hard drive diagnostic tools, and a LinuxLive CD in my my field kit. I don't carry pliers and cutters usually-usually for anything that requires anything like that i take the computer to my office at home to do stuff like that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Bashan

Bashan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thanks, I was wondering about the magnetic bit holder. I spent 20 minutes in Lowes looking for a bit driver that wasn't magnetized and came up with nada. I used a non-magnetic cheapo holder I found in my toolbox to remove the motherboard on an HP and the bit kept falling down in the works.....VERY irritating.

I was thinking I might do some soldering but after looking into the repair process more it looks like it's diagnose, unplug, pitch, and replug new component.

Do you have any specific suggestions for a diagnostic card/system and boot disks? I get the feeling there's some industry standards but of course when I look on Google everybody thinks they're the industry standard. Bashan

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

I love my magnetic screwdriver. Its not powerful enough to hurt hard drives but it is enough to pick up screws, its a stanley from wal-mart. As far as repair discs I make my own.

I use memtest86+ for my memory diagnostic.

I download and burn the hard drive diagnostic tool from the major hd manufacturers such as western digital and hitachi, as those are the ones I deal with most. The ones you encounter may vary.
I usually only take those two and leave the rest at home, I can take the computer home if I need to. I dont like carrying a lot of stuff with me if I can help it.

I keep an ubuntu live disc. Linux live cds are fantastic for data recovery and the like. My preference is ubuntu, but theres a lot of different varieties out there, feel free to experiment to see which you like. Their all free, all it costs you is a disc to burn.

Each person has their own preferences in tool kis, what works for one person may not work for another. Over time you will find what works for you.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Bashan

Bashan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the help man, I ended up ordering this Ultra kit from Tiger Direct:

Posted Image

It was only $50.00 and looked like a good kit to start out with. It was the only one that contained some hardware and a wrist strap. I'm burning the disks as I write this which is going to save me some bucks on a purchase. Leave it to Stanley (er....the Chinese :wacko: ) to have a lame-o magnetized screwdriver that happens to work for what we need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users