Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abnormal high bandwidth rates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ghost_082

ghost_082

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

Hi. I'm a new user to this site but I would appreciate some help in this matter.
(Also sorry, if I have posted in the wrong topic.)

Lately, I have had some very unusual high upload and download rates. I have a 120 GB bandwidth data pack with my internet provider but after a confirming phonecall, I have gone over this data. It's very unusual for this to happen.

What's more, using the Rainmeter network addon, I spot usage spikes of up to 1000 B/s for uploads and some download spikes of up to 800 B/s!

I've got Norton Internet Security Installed and MalwareBytes Pro and have run full system scans with both and nothing has been detected. I've also tried TDSS killer and that comes up with nothing too. I took further measures and installed Comodo Firewall and used NetLimiter but both have not been able to solve this problem. I have even closed all applications which may have been eating up my bandwidth but so far, it still spikes with nothing running. It also affects other devices connected on the network. I'v even run checks to find out if anyone is leeching off my modem but no one is. I monitored packets with Wireshark, but nothing but a few odd strands of TCP packets have occured and I don't know what to do with them.

And as of a few hours ago, I formatted my laptop to its factory settings and still nothing has changed. I still get the abnormal spikes.
I have also tried resetting the modem (its a wireless router) and have even left it off for 12+ hours and it still hasn't done anything. I am forced to wait til Monday before I can call the helpdesk for my modem provider and have them change my IP address.

Please, I am at my wits end. I don't know what to do next and I no longer know if this is the result of malware or a FUD trojan.
I deperately would like this problem fixed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hello, it appears then this issue will require a deeper look at the system.

Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run (it may not on a 64 bit system) skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users