Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Device Manager is blank

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MisterrFixIt

MisterrFixIt

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

Working on a friend's Laptop. Have no idea how this became infected. XP Pro SP3

Symptoms include Device Manager being Blank, Any attempt at bringing up IE or Firefox results in TONS of windows on that Browser opening up and all with the "can't reach the internet" type messages. Also, although it recognizes a USB Mouse, it will NOT recognize any USB Memory Key I try. Therefore the only way to get any type of Software installed is via a CD which I must create each time. Problem is that I can't WRITE to even a R/W CD because it won't let me, and therefore impossible to get logs off the PC. Happens even in Safe Mode.

AVG 2012 and MalwareBytes both previously installed and within about 10 days of being current. Both run full passes without coming up with a single error.

What I need are some programs that I can put on a CD and take to the infected PC that will ID this problem. Also be aware as I stated above that any logs created will have to be hand copied by me and then entered into this topic.

I know this will be a pain for myself and anyone who chooses to help me, so thank you in advance for your patience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MisterrFixIt

MisterrFixIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

Solved my own problem. Searched for Device Manager Blank and found a website that had a method to fix that checked for PNP (Plug and Play) Service not working. Sure enough it was NOT working. Set to Auto and started it. Now Device Manager listed all devices, and magically also now it could Read my USB Key.

Then I tried to get on the internet but was again stopped. Found Network Connections was also completely blank. Did another search for that and came up with a MS Tip that asked me to again check Services and again found them disabled and had to set to Auto and Start. Now I had connections but couldn't get out from the LAN even on wireless.

Got to thinking some more about all these Services being disabled and so brought up msconfig. First page told the story. Startup Selection was set to Selective Startup and Use Original Boot.ini selected only. Changed to Normal Start up and rebooted. Everything now works normally.

Have no idea how it got in this situation, but proceeded to run Spybot which found a few things and then ran complete passes of AVG and MBAM but neither found anything. At least for the moment, it appears everything is fixed. So probably, I entered this occurrence in the wrong forum, although it DID smell like a Virus.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

Persistence pays off. Thanks for letting us know you resolved the problem.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users