Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

My son is about to graduate from college, and as a partial reward, I plan to build a newer desktop computer system for him.

Thought it best to research motherboards first, and am interested in the subject ASUS board, but wanted to get some feedback from y'all, since it's been four years since I last built a system.

This ASUS motherboard appears to have three PCIe expansion slots, plus two regular PCI expansion slots.

1. I know most current videocards requires a PCIe slot, but what other kinds of add-on cards could use the other PCIe slots?

2. Are the two regular PCI expansion slots valuable, or just wasted space?

3. Also, it seems that this motherboard will have a built-in wireless capability - does anyone have info on how reliable it is versus installing a separate, dedicated wireless card into an expansion slot?

4. Finally, I'm thinking of installing an Intel i5 2500 CPU (quad core), 3.3 GHz or better (LGA 1155 form factor). Is this CPU good enough for a casual gamer who does not overclock? Also, what kind of CPU heat sink & fan should I get to keep it cool?

Thanks.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

1. As far as other cards that can use the PCIe slots, they are generally used for video cards but you can put a multitude of other cards in them. Say that you didn't have any PCIe x1 slots for that sound card or raid card, you can always put it in a PCIe x16 slot.

2. It depends on you. I personally would want one PCI slot because of my TV Tuner. Even if I didn't have a card at the moment that used a PCI interface, in the future I might change buy a card that uses the PCI interface so I wouldn't consider them wasted space.

3. I'm not too sure on the wireless but many reviews say that they have great luck with it. Personally, I don't like wireless and want everything hooked up directly if it doesn't move.

4. That CPU is perfectly fine for gaming. As far as Heatsink and fan goes I would install an aftermarket unit because stock H&F's tend to be loud sometimes. I have the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO and it works great, but there are other options out there.

What are your aims with this build? Can you be a bit more specific? Are you going to have a single or multiple graphics cards? Either way this is a rock solid motherboard.
DJBpeace always recommends the ASUS SABERTOOTH motherboards (at least to AMD machines as far as I've seen) to people because they are rock solid motherboards with military grade parts and I recommend it to you as well.
As far as specs go, the Sabertooth has no wifi, no PCI slots, and one less PCIe x1 slot. The only drawback to the Sabertooth is that it has no PCI slots, but you can always find alternatives that use a different interface if need be. Spec wise, almost everything else is identical.

Edited by nesto1000, 04 August 2012 - 12:46 AM.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

I use the PCIe slots as follows.
1. 16X for the video
2. 1X for additional USB3 card
3. 1x sound card

Most add in cards are still PCI from what I see.
1. Parallel port card

A Raid card could be either PCIe or PCI.

A Slight difference of opinion with nesto1000, I use a retail box Intel CPU and the Intel Heat Sink and Fan since I never overclock. If you think overclocking is in the future possibilities, get a overclockable version of the CPU. Then go Water cooling for the CPU instead of the Intel Heat Sink and Fan assembly. If you think you might want to overclock the CPU in the future, buy an i5 2500K, i7 2600K and i7 2700K and not the I5 2500. It is eminently Overclockable from my research. Down the road a bit you may want to overclock. The right motherboard and CPU and heatsink are needed for that. Minimal price increase compared to doing it later.

Stock heat sink vs aftermarket is the kind of thing that you will find is 50/50 for/against.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Am planning to go ahead and get this motherboard, or one very similar to it, but will first need to which other parts I should purchase or should instead salvage from previous computer builds.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Good Luck

One thing to remember is that a ASUS motherboard can be picky about the Memory you use. Make sure what you get is for that model motherboard.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

OK, think I've got most of the parts figured out, so wanted to obtain some feedback on my choices before they get fully locked in. (haven't decided on a case yet, but will go browse a computer supply store this weekend)

CPU = Intel i5 3570K 3.4 GHz 6MB Cache (soclet 1155) Ivy Bridge 3rd Gen CPU

CPU Cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard = ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

RAM = Four sticks of G.Skill Ares Series 4GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800

Video Card = PCIe 3.0 EVGA Nvidia GTX560 Ti 2GB GDDR5

Hard Drive = Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6.0 - 64 MB Cache 7200 RPM

Optical Drive = LG Black Bluray Player & DVD-R/W Combo

Power Supply = Corsair CX Series CX750 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified

Misc = A few 80mm or 120mm Neon Blue cooling fans

Keyboard, mouse, monitor = re-use the ones from previous computer build

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

OK, think I've got most of the parts figured out, so wanted to obtain some feedback on my choices before they get fully locked in. (haven't decided on a case yet, but will go browse a computer supply store this weekend)

CPU = Intel i5 3570K 3.4 GHz 6MB Cache (soclet 1155) Ivy Bridge 3rd Gen CPU

CPU Cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard = ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

RAM = Four sticks of G.Skill Ares Series 4GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800

Video Card = PCIe 3.0 EVGA Nvidia GTX560 Ti 2GB GDDR5

Hard Drive = Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6.0 - 64 MB Cache 7200 RPM

Optical Drive = LG Black Bluray Player & DVD-R/W Combo

Power Supply = Corsair CX Series CX750 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified

Misc = A few 80mm or 120mm Neon Blue cooling fans

Keyboard, mouse, monitor = re-use the ones from previous computer build

You could cut the cost down by getting a non-k cpu, you could just get a DVDRW drive and 750W is a overkill if your not going to use multi-gpu. With all these cut down, you could easily get a better graphics card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback.

The combo Bluray player/DVD-RW will only cost $45, and my son doesn't have a stand-alone Bluray player, so I may include that anyway, as he will probably be moving out on his own within the year.

He doesn't overclock though, and will only be using one video card at a time (No SLI). What brand/size power supply would you recommend for this setup?

Also, the GTX560 Ti (PCIe 3.0) video card is currently running $300 on Newegg, which is pushing my budget a bit. What higher quality video card did you have in mind?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

You might want to do a little research on playing BluRay on a PC. Does the Drive come with software or will you have to buy it?

I Have a BluRay Burner in each of my Desktop PCs. I only use them for data backup. I use a BluRay player hooked up to the TV to watch BluRay movies.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback.

The combo Bluray player/DVD-RW will only cost $45, and my son doesn't have a stand-alone Bluray player, so I may include that anyway, as he will probably be moving out on his own within the year.

He doesn't overclock though, and will only be using one video card at a time (No SLI). What brand/size power supply would you recommend for this setup?

Also, the GTX560 Ti (PCIe 3.0) video card is currently running $300 on Newegg, which is pushing my budget a bit. What higher quality video card did you have in mind?

A CPU with the K means it is unlocked and ready to overclock. This power supply would do the job. For $300, you could get a 7950 which is a lot more powerful then the 560TI.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

You might want to do a little research on playing BluRay on a PC. Does the Drive come with software or will you have to buy it?

I Have a BluRay Burner in each of my Desktop PCs. I only use them for data backup. I use a BluRay player hooked up to the TV to watch BluRay movies.

Good Luck
Roger

I hadn't thought about Bluray player software for the PC. That could make a difference. Is there any decent freeware that would do that function, or would I have to buy some commercial software?

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

The Free ones I know of that can read the from the Bluray disk all need helper programs or plugins to work off of the BluRay drive.
This makes them Illegal for use in the USA due to the DMCA.

The One I use ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre costs a $100 USA.

TotalMedia Theatre 5 is your all-in-one media player for PCs. Whether playing Blu-ray and DVD discs, AVCHD, or high-definition files on local machines or videos on a UPnP server and online, the program has it covered. With an intuitive and innovative user interface design, excellent playback quality and performance, and industry-leading playback technology, TotalMedia Theatre 5 brings the premium movie experience to you.

That was why I was asking if the drive came with playing software.

It might be worth a little more research to find a drive that comes with player software even if it is a few dollars more.

Cyberlink PowerDVD

Cyberlink PowerDVD is the latest evolution of the world acclaimed Blu-ray and DVD software player that offers maximum video and audio playback entertainment on the PC. Supports Blu-ray, HD DVD, DVD, AVCHD, AVCREC, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), MPEG-2 HD and WMV-HD , DVD-VR, DVD+VR, H264/AVC, MPEG2, MPEG1, SVCD, VCD and AVI/DivX/XviD video. PowerDVD Ultra with Blu-ray support costs $100.

That is why I suggested a standalone BluRay player.

Note: I did a quick search on Amazon & Ebay etc. and found older versions cheaper. Whether they would support Windows 8 for example is unknown.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 September 2012 - 03:53 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#13 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Thanks folks,

Based on your feedback, I'll skip using a Bluray player and go with a simple DVD-R/W drive instead.

Also, I'll spring more cash for a more powerful video card, but will probably go with an MSI Power Edition PCIe 3.0 Nvidia GTX 670 2GB GDDR5 card instead of the less expensive Radeon HD7950, as I'm partial to Nvidia cards.

Finally, after poking around today, I think I'll go with thje following case, since it has two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 connectors on the front: Antec 1100 Super-Mid Tower. Will also need to buy some additional Antec tricool 3-speed 120mm cooling fans to go with it, increasing the overall case price.

Any more feedback on my choice of video card and computer case?

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

For a similar price range, a 7970 is faster then the GTX670.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users