Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Question/case

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FL@$hB@cK

FL@$hB@cK

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:48 AM

Im looking for a case for my Dell Dimension 8200 and I know I have to find a case that supports the motherboard. What I need to know is how am I suppose to find something that fits this motherdaord when all I come up with is; Standard ATX 12" (W) x 9.6" (L), Baby AT, Micro ATX, ATX(Of Course). What exact motherboard compatibility am I looking for????

Thanks for the help guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:23 PM

Dell doesn't specify if the board in your 8200 is an ATX standard.

There are two boards available for your computer and both will fit in the Dell case.

http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/...ace.htm#1114089

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

Im looking for a case for my Dell Dimension 8200 and I know I have to find a case that supports the motherboard. What I need to know is how am I suppose to find something that fits this motherdaord when all I come up with is; Standard ATX 12" (W) x 9.6" (L), Baby AT, Micro ATX, ATX(Of Course). What exact motherboard compatibility am I looking for????

Thanks for the help guys.

You will have a little problem in that Dell does not attach thier motherboard in a standard fashion. Most motherboard attach to the case with 6 to 8 screws like the one holding your PCI cards in place. Dell uses a combination of slots on the motherboard and hooks on the case, with 2 screws holding it in place.
Whatever you do, DO NOT DRILL THE MOTHERBOARD! The motherboard has several layers and will be damaged beyond repair if you drill.
Standard cases have a series of hole in prescribed place. A standard pattern. You can modify a case to allow the Dell motherboard to mate to it with much effort. This can be fun if you are looking for a project. It is not hard, you will just need to plan your modification before hand.
You will have to use a Dell power supply since they use a unquie power supply.
I would recommend you aquire a used ATX case to experiment on. Once you have it like you want it buy the case you want and transfer over measurements and modifity the new case. Make sure whatever case you go with can accommodate the riser on the Dell motherboard.
If you get stuck just call for help. We will be here.

Edited by acklan, 10 March 2006 - 04:55 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users