Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting Up And Scan Disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KamikazeCricket

KamikazeCricket

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:19 AM

For some reason my Windows XP Pro insists on running scan disk every time I boot up as if I pressed the reset button at an inappropriate time. It does this every single time I restart the computer whether I do it normally or not. It started doing it after I had to press the restart button while the system was locked up, but I figured that it would run the scan disk once, like normal and be done with it. I didn't think it would have to run the damned thing on every boot. I guess something got screwed up so that the computer thinks that it isn't being shut down properly every time, but I don't know anything about that stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:23 AM

Your computer may be senseing a problem with your hard drive. Make sure your data is backed up in case of failure.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 10 March 2006 - 08:01 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

Download and run Everest Home v 1.51 (the last full function freeware version) from oldversion.com and see if it detects your hdd as "healthy".

Something is causing Windows to detect an improper shutdown and therefore the checkdisk at bootup.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:28 AM

You could run the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test found at:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/technolo/dft/dftnew.htm

You must create either a bootable diskette or a bootable CD to run it.
This test will usually give you a good indication of the state of your drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users