Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario CO61 keyboard and mouse malfunction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gemma W.

Gemma W.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

I was doing my usual work when my Bluetooth mouse scroll wheel suddenly went from scrolling the page to zooming the page for no reason.

This was quickly followed by my laptop keyboard suddenly refusing to work except for a few keys. It was quickly obvious that key function had been remapped (i.e. the M key did what the Enter key was meant to do, etc.).

I tried an USB wired external keyboard and the problem still persisted.

So, I thought it had to be an OS issue. After checking a few things, I decided to reinstall Win7 (Home Edition 64-bit) as I hadn't done that for several months. I hoped it would fix the problem. I checked the BIOS and then wiped the HDD and did a reinstall after backing up my files.

It solved the problem for about 30 minutes, then the problem with the mouse and keyboard returned.

I've checked the Device Manager and there's nothing showing up there. I ran the troubleshooter tool a few times. Most of the keyboard's function has returned to normal, though I have no idea why. I haven't tried the Bluetooth mouse, I'm using the laptop's trackpad instead. But I've noticed the copy and paste keyboard shortcuts aren't working (even though I can still right-click and do it that way, it's annoying as hell).

Any ideas about the source of the issue? Or even how I can get the copy/paste working again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

That's really weird. Have you tried updating the drivers for your input devices? What is the make and model of your computer - I can help you find them.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#3 Gemma W.

Gemma W.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

It's a Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop. The drivers are up to date according to Windows. The malfunctioning is intermittent.

#4 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Windows driver updates are not always reliable. That's not the full model number. Do this...

1) Click Start
2) Type into the Search field: msinfo32
3) Press Enter
4) A new window will open displaying system information. Report back with the model number displayed.
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users