Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hyperthreading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:27 AM

I just ran my comp through the PCMark05 Basic version and in the results I saw this field:

HyperThreading___________________ Available - Disabled

My processor is a P4 2.8 Ghz (running at 2792 MHz) and I got this processor with the system in Jan of '03. I didn't think they had HT tech back when I got it.

Is this like a false positive or is there a way to activate HT on my proc, if it will make it run better. IDK much about HT except that it is only helpful for apps written to use it, and that it can even slow down non-native HT apps.

any info would be good, thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:12 AM

If I remember correctly HT was introduced with the Pentium 4 3.06 GHz. But I heard some talk about all P4s supporting HT but it is only turned off, in which case there might be some dirty hack to turn it on, and which would explain your false positive. You'd still require a compatible OS, BIOS and chipset.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:05 AM

Hi there,

I am not possitive on this, but I think I may have read somewhere that a processor with HT shows up as two CPU's when you open taskmanager with certain apps. Under the processes tab Right-Click a running process, click Set Affinity... to see the number of CPU's are running.

I have a Dual-Core, otherwise I would check it out myself, and as long as one can determin which programs do not support DC processors, the non-supportive apps. can be individually set to run on only one CPU. An example of this is Open Office, at least the version before this last release anyway. It was very buggy under the DC, but after changing the affinity to 1 CPU, other than hogging my RAM, it worked great.

Just some food for thought,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

u can Enabled HT in BIOS settings. My MB is HT compatible but my CPU(P4) is not, so i dont have HT.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

Some Pent 4s starting at 2.4 GHZ have HT technology and to use it you need to have matching RAM sticks installed as directed by the MB manufacturer. The MB must also have been designed for this.

HT Technology requires a computer system with:
A processor that supports HT Technology
HT Technology enabled chipset
HT Technology enabled system BIOS
HT Technology enabled/optimized operating system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users