Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC infected, shuts down after 2 minutes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Archeologist

Archeologist

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hello,

I started another topic but closed it after I thought a local shop could fix it. Turns out they couldn't.

What I'd like to do now is rebuild the hard drive. Luckily I have a second, smaller hard drive still in the PC that I imaged when I installed this drive a few months ago. So I just need to figure out how to copy the last few months of data off the drive, then rebuild it.

The problem is that the PC is still infected with a virus that causes it to shut down after 2 minutes, so I only get a few minutes to work on it before it reboots.

Any ideas on how to stop the shutdown? Running shutdown /a in the command line didn't work.

Here is a link to the original thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic462712.html/page__p__2782255__fromsearch__1#entry2782255

And here's what happened from that thread:

"Yesterday my PC was infected with the Live Security Virus. It's an HP desktop running Win Vista Home Premium.

I was able to download AntiMalwarebytes and run it to remove the Live Security Virus.

Afterwards MSE would not run, so I uninstalled it, and reinstalled.

After rebooting, MSE detected the sirefef.ah and sirefef.r viruses, but before it can clean them the PC gives a warning that it had a critical error, and will restart in a minute. It then restarts.

I tried downloading TDSSkiller only a flash drive on this PC (my laptop), plugged it into the infected PC and ran it, but it didn't find anything. Sure enough, it then shut down again.

MSE will detect the viruses, but doesn't have enough time to deal with them.

I'd love some help! What should I try next?

Thanks!
Ian"

Thanks again!
Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

Do you have this pop up in safemode?

If not click on startmenu and type

cmd

Right click on it and select run as administrator and run this command

sfc /scanfile=C:\windows\system32\services.exe

After scan completes restart the PC.If you have this issue in safemode,let me know

Edited by narenxp, 03 August 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#3 Archeologist

Archeologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

The issue also happens in safe mode with networking.

We reopened the other thread so let's pause this one and focus on the other thread first. I know that worst case I can rebuild the drive, but I'm still worried I won't get all my data off and lose something, so I'd love to clean it if possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users