Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open Internet Explorer and Other Programs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Help Me 101

Help Me 101

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

Everytime I try to open Internet Explorer, a window comes up then closes as soon as it shows. Like a blink.

I've tried reseting the IE settings on the control panel and it still doesn't work. I've also tried system restore and it still didn't work.

There are also some other programs that won't open, like McAfee Internet Security, it opens but it's just comes up as a plain white window.

This started happening a couple of days ago, I did a windows update and the problem went away. But then after turning the laptop off and on again, it stopped working again (Can't open internet explorer) and this time, after the update I couldn't connect to the internet.

I don't know how and why this started happening as I'm not the one who uses the laptop, but maybe it's the windows update that did this or I'm thinking maybe McAfee? But I'm not really sure.

Can anyone please help me. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Did you recently make any changes to the laptop hardware wise? If so uninstall the new hardware and check for latest device driver updates. If not try to uninstall any newly installed software. Back up your data to an external HDD first (like pictures, videos, documents, etc). It might be a driver related issue or a bad HDD.

#3 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

I'm not really sure as its my little brother who uses it and he can't really say anything about what he did or installed. But how do I check for latest driver?

Is there any way to check the recently installed software?

And also, Is it possible to just reformat the laptop? I'm not sure if its possible though as the laptop didn't come with any CD's. And apparently, if i reformat most of the programs installed will be gone, even the ones that came pre-installed with the laptop.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Looks like a virus related issue to me, especially the blank windows and disappearing pop ups.

I would try restarting the computer in the Windows Safe Mode with Networking. Restart and start tapping the F8 key to get this option.

Once in the safe mode, check to see if the problem persists.

Also, install a different browser and get hold of Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes from the Internet. Install them both and run them one by one to check for security threats/infections and remove them.

Last but not the least, re-install IE and McAfee to see if that helps.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

And also, Is it possible to just reformat the laptop? I'm not sure if its possible though as the laptop didn't come with any CD's. And apparently, if i reformat most of the programs installed will be gone, even the ones that came pre-installed with the laptop.

Rather than reformat......

What is the make and model of the laptop. It should have a recovery partition that will put it back to new as delivered as far as windows and installed software. Most likely when it was new it prompted to make the recovery disk set of DVDs.

You should make a choice of whether you want to recover back to as delivered condition. Doing that will destroy any programs that were installed and remove any data files such as documents, picture, video or music. Everything will be gone and the laptop will be as when it was delivered.

The other choice is to go ahead and try to cleanup the laptop and return it to proper functioning.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi, just another update. I think I accidentally deleted Internet Explorer by trying to fix it (played around with the windows feature on off thing in the control panel), after doing that, it forced me to restart the laptop and I did, but after turning off and on again, it said configuration failed or something so it restarted again then it got me to log on.

Anyway, everytime I try to right click desktop icons, a windows error appear, and when I click the more info button, it says APPCRASH and explore.exe on the bottom, but there's also a lot of other things listed.

@ReviverSoft I've tried going on Safe Mode with Networking but it's still the same. IE doesn't open. I can't install a new browser because I can't get to the internet without IE, and I've tried downloading it from Browser Choice icon but it doesn't open. I don't know how to reinstall IE and I've tried uninstalling McAfee but everytime I do, I click on the uninstall thing on Control Panel, then the uninstall set up box appears but its just white, which is always the problem everytime I open McAfee, plain white box.

@rotor123 The laptop is an Acer 5742Z-P626G32, Windows 7 Home Premium. I have thought about it having a recovery partition but I didn't want to do anything without being sure of it and I don't know how to find out if it does. To be honest, I'm okay with having to wipe everything from the laptop, as long as all the programs that came with it is still installed.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Download the user guide, User Guide here Then go to page 14 where it says

The restore feature allows you to restore or recover the system from a factory
default image or from previously created CD and DVD backups. You can also
reinstall applications and drivers for your Acer system.
1 Click on Start, All Programs, Acer, Acer eRecovery Management.
2 Switch to the Restore page by clicking Restore.

See if your system will let you make the recovery DVDs first, Usually 2 to 4 blank 4.7Gb DVDs.
That should be an option when you Click on Start, All Programs, Acer, Acer eRecovery Management

If that is successful then you can try the first option of the program by continuing to step 2 Switch to the Restore page by clicking Restore.
Completely Restore System To Factory Defaults which is a destructive restore.

Or the second option which is Restore Operating System and Retain User Data.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 August 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

^Thank you. I will try that

#9 SophiaChristchurch

SophiaChristchurch

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

Everytime I try to open Internet Explorer, a window comes up then closes as soon as it shows. Like a blink.

I've tried reseting the IE settings on the control panel and it still doesn't work. I've also tried system restore and it still didn't work.

There are also some other programs that won't open, like McAfee Internet Security, it opens but it's just comes up as a plain white window.

This started happening a couple of days ago, I did a windows update and the problem went away. But then after turning the laptop off and on again, it stopped working again (Can't open internet explorer) and this time, after the update I couldn't connect to the internet.

I don't know how and why this started happening as I'm not the one who uses the laptop, but maybe it's the windows update that did this or I'm thinking maybe McAfee? But I'm not really sure.

Can anyone please help me. Thank you

Try scanning it using another anti virus software because from the problem that you posted here, it seems that there is some kind of virus that is causing those things to your computer. Please do this ASAP to prevent further damage to your PC...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users