Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radeon 7750: Sapphire or Asus? Neither?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lestatpdh

lestatpdh

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

I just bought a CyberpowerPC (500W PSU) from Walmart and I want to upgrade the graphics card. The only game I play is Civilization; I plan to buy Civ V soon and I'd like to get better graphics on it than the GT 520 will allow.

I was told that a Radeon 7750 would be on the lower end of the mid-grade cards, and I found a couple name brands for $100. Are there any brands I should avoid? The two I found for $100 are Sapphire and Asus. I understand Asus is a good brand, but I haven't heard anything about Sapphire. I'm a little concerned about the Asus because it is overclocked. Doesn't that mean I would have to add special cooling components and monitor the heat levels in my GPU and elsewhere inside my case? I really don't want to deal with that kind of high-maintenance card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969
http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2941928&csid=_61

Alternatively, what would be a GeForce card that's comparable to the Radeon 7750? (Or other Radeon suggestions?) It's so hard for me to compare models from the two designers (?) because they offer mostly different spec categories on their websites (linked below). About all I can compare is the memory type and size, and the few GPU clock speeds that are labeled the same.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7750/Pages/radeon-7750.aspx#2
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-550ti/specifications

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

they are on the lower end, and I think youd be happy with either the ASUS or the saphire-Ive used both (am currently using both brands) and are very happy with them. My first choice when it comes to video cards is always saphire with ASUS being a close second. As far as NVIDIA, im not really up on their cards, Ive never been all that impressedw ith their price/performance ratio, for example their new EVGA 670s, which are low end are starting at around 400 dollars, 300 more then the saphire 7750, for 1 more gig of ram, and 100 mhz faster GPU and memory speeds. Not impressed with that at all. Even their 560, which is from the previous series, is priced at $120, though spec wise performs below the 7750.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users