Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"KIOSK" Login issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 corycar

corycar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

so - I have an HP (yuck) I'm repairing for a customer - She doens't know when or how it happened, but it displays the following issues:

Upon Boot - It tries to autologin as user "KIOSK" - but fails with "unknown" password.

I used MS TOOLS to change the Administrator password, and CAN login as admin by switching user.

I ran COMBOFIX - but it didn't find anything - I ran TDS Killer - and found nothing.

I went into USERS - and there is NO user named KIOSK...

At the suggestion of a "fixit" website - I went into the Registry and deleted the KIOSK user under HKLM\Microsoft\Software\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-"bunch of numbers I'm not going to type"

rebooted - same problem.

ANY IDEAS??????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hello and Welcome -
First (must ask), are you sure that the wording of - KIOSK - was their normal login password and there were No Non-capitals etc. used with the word ??
It tries to autologin as user "KIOSK" << Do you mean the user attempts this word as the login password, or am I misreading your wording ??

How many accounts are there normally used on the computer, just this or others also ??
Is the problem basically solved by using another account, or is there data from KIOSK that is needed ??

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users