Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Of These A Good "Bang For Your Buck" Upgrade To Increase Speed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 graybeard47

graybeard47

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

I just built a new fairly high end desktop but have a problem:My wife wants to use it that I do not want to happen.Reason:on the other desktop that we use,she is one of those users that does not take care about what mail she opens, the care that is necessry to keep a system runnung well nor the precautions needed when on the internet. She has BSOD drives,infected a system that has required some real work to clean up or required that a clean install just be done to get her up and running again.Most of this shortcoming was solved in her purchase of a well equipped laptop:since she uses it almost exclusivly,she really watches what she does,keeping it very trouble free.However,she does use the old desktop about 10% of the time and does a 100% of the complaining of it's slowness.(Her laptop came with Vista that was slow but upgraded it to Windows 7 that made a very dramatic difference in speed.After a desktop system problem about 30 months ago(as for a backup for me) I purchased a $200 New E-Machine laptop with a low-end Cleron CPU with Windows 7 & speed it has.

I want the old desktop to be used for general use for both of us and increase its speed without replacing any of its existing hardware except the hard drive(an extra I already have.)
OLD DESKTOP:Pentium 4 2.8,MSI 865 PE Neo 2 Series Motherboard,2GB Corsair XMS Dual Channel Memory,IDE Hard Drive,XP Home

Which of the following would give the "best" loading speed boost:

1. Up grade to Windows 7

2.Use a new Western Digital Cavair Blue Sata/300 7200 RPM Hard Drive to the motherboards Sata 2 plug

3.Use a PCI E Express Card to Sata II with the Cavair Blue Drive

4.Use the IDE Drive connected to a IDE to Sata II drive adapter plugged in to the motherboard's Sata II plug
in

5.Use Windows 7 in conjunction with 2,3,or 4

As I'm definetly not savey in this,please excuse any mistakes in my combinations.I very much welcome corrections and other recommendations.

Thank you for the input and time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

IMO...none of those is liable to be noticeable re performance increase for the system.

Historically...installing the maximum RAM supported by the system...has been deemed to be the most beneficial system change that routine users can adopt.

Doubling the RAM installed would be your best bet on a motherboard that is 8 years old or so.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

2.Use a new Western Digital Cavair Blue Sata/300 7200 RPM Hard Drive to the motherboards Sata 2 plug

This one.

Historically...installing the maximum RAM supported by the system

This too, if it's an option you are willing to consider. However, 4GB is the maximum you can go. You also need to get compatible memory.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 03 August 2012 - 10:48 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 ichiban1962

ichiban1962

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

As stated max the ram out, it should be able to take at least 4gb with a possible bios upgrade.
Install 2 hdd (one for the operating system and the other for storage and work space)
Then strip windows of as much unnecessary tools and utilities as possible.

Or install another operating system ie. Linux ubuntu this will run very fast on your present system,
and will come with most software that you would need for a basic home pc (e-mail browsing and office software included)
or the other choice is buy a new pc minus the monitor keyboard mouse speakers etc. for about 230 amazon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users