Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Muscley

Muscley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hello,

The other day while using my web browser, I was prompted with (an official looking) notice to DL a program / driver. I'm am very cautious about such things but it looked like Microsoft. I do have Trend Micro that is good about catching phony requests. I remember part of the file name being something like "quiet".

Anyway, my computer instantly shuts down upon clicking "Yes." Upon restarting, I get an option for various Safe Modes; selecting Normal start results in a black screen and nothing more. Choosing a Safe Mode, and upon Safe Mode selecting to recover from a point several days earlier results in a boot-up and the "Welcome" screen that does not go away. After a cold shutdown, I'm back to my Safe Mode options or a black-screen boot-up. Or choosing to recover and the wonderful, never-ending "Welcome" screen.

Inspiron 530s. Windows Vista Home Premium. 32-bit Operating System. Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz. 3 GB Ram.

Dell Technical Support had me run a diagnostic via F12; everything passed. Then, they suggested a Dell Factory Image restore. The only problem is that I'm prompted with an administrator username and password, and have no recollection of ever using those to operate my computer. So, that option is off the table. Finally, they said I must do an Operating system reinstallation instead.

Might anyone have any other, different suggestions before I take this radical step? I'm not even sure where my disks are at for that procedure, and have never done it before.

Any help is much appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2012 - 04:20 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamlui.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users