Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns off randomly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BlueBlueBlue

BlueBlueBlue

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Hello! I have a Dell inspiron laptop with a windows 7 OS. A few weeks ago, I had set down my laptop on my bed and had fallen asleep, only to awaken and see that it had turned off. I thought nothing of it then, believing it simply overheated but it's happened a few times since then. Today, I had set my laptop down on a glass table and I fell asleep on the sofa there, only to wake up four hours later with the laptop off. Again, I believed it was a heating problem but turning it on and going to the pool, I would return one hour later to see that it was off once more! It's strange, because it doesn't turn off when I am at it and doing something on the laptop but if I turn away form it, there is a chance that I may find it off when I return. It cannot be that someone is turning it off as I live by myself. Every time I turn it on after finding it off, it takes me to the Windows Error Recovery black page at the beginning.

Could this be a heating problem or something else?

Thank you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hello,

More than likely it IS an over heating issue started or aggravated by leaving it on the bed. That tends to block tightly the air ports in or out that vent the CPU and GPU.

The startup screen you note occurs after a crash so its not going to sleep or hibernation. You should check the power settings anyway and turn off any power saving features while your testing and switch to high performance. This should make the issue occur faster as well. Watch a movie or play a game to heat things up faster.

If that doesn't identify the cause let us know. If it does crash look to cleaning the vents with a vacuum, open the bottom panels and check for lint or dirty heatsinks and fan. if your lucky the thermal past is still good no balled solder issues.

Good luck,
Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users