Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lnd3939

lnd3939

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

I received an email from my mom saying that she got a weird email from me suggesting that she visit some site. Since I sent no such email (Yahoo email) I ran a full virus scan (Avast Internet Security) and it only found EndProcess.exe Win32:KillApp-W [PUP] which turned out to be a legitimate file. I then ran MalewareBytes Anti-Maleware but that did not find anything. I then ran a boot sector scan and the following 2 items were found and moved to the virus chest.

Name 12d71bb5-60aa3439 Virus Java:CVE-2012-0507-MU [Expl]
Name outa\outa.class Virus Java:CVE-2012-0507-LK [Expl]

I spent some time with google trying to find information on the above items and found very little information available. My question is what are these 2 items and could they have taken over my yahoo email and sent unauthorized emails? I am also concerned that there could be other things that were not found. What are my next steps? Should I be concerned? Do I need to wipe out my OS and start over?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

The fact that someone got a e-mail pretending to be from you doesn't mean your computer is infected that has usual on the old days, today the malware don't use that technique because almost every mail server have protections against sending direct e-mails from the clients.

What you should do is login to your Yahoo email account and change the password right away because someone could get access to the account and send e-mail in your name. Make sure you choose a strong password and also set a second e-mail to recover the password or set a mobile phone.

Also check this:
- How to tell who has been logging in to your Account
- Tips for creating a secure, strong password

Because of those virus found on java cache you should remove all the Java versions you have installed, restart the computer and then install the last Java version from http://www.java.com make sure you choose a custom installation so you can choose if you want to install the suggested extras.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users