Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Agp Compatabilty

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Big G.

Big G.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:27 PM

I am looking to replace my old VooDoo3 PCI type video card with an AGP type Sapphire 100576 . My question is Can I put this card in a PC that has an AGP 2X slot in it? One tech locally told me no and another said yes. I went to the manufacture's web site and did some checking of my own and I believe that it will according to the brochure pdf. and under the system requirements it says "AGP 2X 3.5volt" .Yet it say's 4X/8X in the list.....Who do I Trust? A brief system description- MSI-6167 MoBo, AMD K7@600mhz.,320Mb. ram,WD40GB. HDD, VooDoo3 vid card. Thanks for any info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:22 AM

Email the tech support of the video card you wish o buy. They should be ble to tell you. If not you may want to buy a different card.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:44 AM

That mobo has an AGP 1x/2x slot. So, I would guess your card is a AGP 2x card. I would go for it, the worst that can happen is it will not boot up with it.

Edited by welco, 10 March 2006 - 02:45 AM.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#4 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:50 AM

at a glance, in my opinion the card should run if all it requires is a 2x slot which you have. However the card performance should be reduced because of the reduction in speed from 4x or 8x to just 2x.

Also looking at your specs you might want to consider other areas to upgrade before or after you GPU. I was thinking that you might want to bump up your RAM to 512Mb or more, especially if you are running XP or any newer games with heavy graphics

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:56 AM

Have to agree with Gothmog. An upgrade to 512 would be prudent, and with XP make your system more stable. FYI: I have a 1.5ghz Athlon with AGP running a PCI card. Jaton Nvidia MX400 64 mb. Runs fine.

Edited by acklan, 10 March 2006 - 06:59 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users