Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Reinstall McAfee Total Protection on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ron H

Ron H

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Since I don't know what the problem is, I'm not sure where to post this...

I uninstalled McAfee Total Protection on my desktop and laptop because, while both were protected by McAfee, neither would "trust" the other on my home network. The reinstall on my laptop is working fine. The desktop is the problem.

A McAfee tier II tech took control of my desktop for over two hours, to no avail. He said the problem must be one or more Windows XP corrupt or missing files. He went though my registry and deleted all entries mentioning McAfee before his last reinstall attempt.

Via Microsoft's website, I confirmed my XP files contain all the latest updates.

Here's what else I've run:
chkdsk
sfc /scannow
Spybot S&D
Malwarebytes
McAfee's Virtual Technician, Preinstall, MGPR and Security Scan Plus programs
ParetoLogic's PC Health Advisor

I did discover and have eliminated about six bogus network adaptors (all with McAfee in the desriptors). They disappeared when I updated the drivers from a pop-up menu, which looked to be from McAfee. I am puzzled about this but don't know if it's relevant.

I really do want to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling Windows XP if at all possible.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Ron H

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but in my opinion (and the opinions of most knowledgeable folks), McAfee makes the absolute worst products you can use. Personally I'd install ANY other product.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Well...have you tried installing s reliable AV program that's free...and using the Windows firewall?

IMO, we need to find out if alternatives work properly, IMO, as a first step...rather than focuing on the McAfee bundle.

Do your install efforts produce any onscreen error messages?

Louis

#4 Ron H

Ron H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

You two raise interesting points. It may not be worth trying to fix this for the sake of McAfee if other programs are just as good.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ron H

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=231274 << One quick link to Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus program (aka MSE)

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Do your install efforts produce any onscreen error messages?

You didnot answer this.

Errors like Installation incomplete are difficult to solve.Manual removal,MCPR and pre install tools are not going to work in this case.I guess mcafee tech would not have used any third party uninstallers.

You could try

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

If nothing works,noknojon has already given you the answer

#7 Ron H

Ron H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Narenxp,

Sorry, I didn't see your question.

Best as I can recall it said something like we are unable to install any of the programs. The installation attempts appeared to stop about 10 percent into the process...

Ron H

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

PLease...reproduce the error...write down the exact wording...and post same for those of us trying to make sense of what may have transpired.

Louis

#9 Ron H

Ron H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

When I booted the desktop this morning, the McAfee Total Protection installation program started right away on its own. First time for that. After the install failed again, task master indicated McSvHost.exe was running. When I tried yet anther install, nothing happened until I ended the McSvHost.exe process.

When I rebooted after uninstalling Spybot S&D, McSvHost.exe AND mcshield.exe both appeared on task master. Couldn't end the process on the latter.

Also, I forgot to mention I've tried the install in safe mode as well.

The message I got after the failed install didn't tell me much - but maybe it will mean something to one of you pondering this post:

"INSTALLATION INCOMPLETE

We couldn't install any of the features included with your software. To fix this you can

Try installing them again
Run McAfee Virtual Technician
Contact McAfee Support for more information"

After this install attempt, McShield was is no longer listed on task master, but McItInfo.exe was. Briefly, then it disappeared too.

Ron H

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

Mcafee installation incomplete errors are difficult to troubleshoot.

Try to uninstall mcafee using these tools

http://www.appremover.com/download
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

good luck

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

If you really have to flush out remnants of the troublesome McAfee installer, try this:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml

(make sure you only remove McAfee related stuff)

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but in my opinion (and the opinions of most knowledgeable folks), McAfee makes the absolute worst products you can use. Personally I'd install ANY other product.

Amen! There are so many better products out there. Try Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes for a change.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#12 Ron H

Ron H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for your inputs. I'll give it another shot following your recommendations to completely clean out McAfee. If the next install attempt fails, I'll ditch McAfee and go with Microsoft Security Essentials, with Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D thrown in.

It's not worth you folks (or me) spending much more time on this. It could take a long time.

Thanks again for your prompt and thoughtful replies.

Ron H

#13 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

If you decide to ditch McAfee make sure you still run the McAfee clean up tool before install MSE. This will get all leftovers left behind.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for your inputs. I'll give it another shot following your recommendations to completely clean out McAfee. If the next install attempt fails, I'll ditch McAfee and go with Microsoft Security Essentials, with Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D thrown in.

It's not worth you folks (or me) spending much more time on this. It could take a long time.

Thanks again for your prompt and thoughtful replies.

Ron H

That's what we're here for. No problem my friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users