Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$1000 gaming build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crackjuice

crackjuice

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

I have been doing a lot of searching around and now im just going to ask for help. Im dead set on getting an intel i5 cpu, either the 2500k or the new ivy bridge one. I don't know which one or even the differences. Im not sure which gpu I want but amd or nvidia are both fine by me. For the HD I don't need a lot of space 500GB should be way more than enough but what is caviar black, blue, green? What does that mean? I was also thinking about an SSD for my OS but I don't know if that necessary. And should I go with windows 7? I have a guy that will install windows7 and anti virus for $80 (included in $1000 budget) and I was thinking about corsair vengeance memory. What would be better 2 sticks of 4GB or 4 sticks of 2GB? And then a psu, im not even sure what each individual item requires. But if its possible I would prefer modular. And finally a case I don't want lights or even windows to see in but I was thinking the coolermaster haf 912. And im 16 and don't make loads of money so this really is my budget. Thanks for any help you can offer. Also a mouse and keyboard are not included in my budget.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crackjuice

crackjuice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

The moniter is not inluded either, im gana use my tv

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

For RAM, you're better off using two sticks of 4GB instead of four sticks of smaller size, as this will make it easier (and cheaper) to add more memory in the future if you need to do so.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

A $1000 budget is reasonable for a good, mainstream gaming PC. Out of curiousity, why are you dead set on a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU? The cheaper 2500K is still rather expensive at $219. It's less expensive cousin, the 2500, is about $10 cheaper but does away with being unlocked. The AMD FX-8120 is about $150 and almost as fast. For gaming, the difference between these two CPU's are minor since most games are GPU bound.

With SSD's and other hard drives there are a few things to consider. SSD's are very fast, but more expensive at about $1 per GB. They can load programs, including Windows, very quickly and are power efficient. Plus, they have no moving parts. However, their capacity is somewhat limited if you're on a budget. If you have the cash to spare, go for it, but if you don't, do not worry about it. Caviar is a brand name for Western Digital hard drives. Black drives are fast but use more power. Green drives are designed for power efficiency, but are slower. Blues are generic consumer hard drives that sit between the two.

With GPU's, you need to know what games you play and the performance you want. If all you do is play something like The Sims 3, you don't really need a Radeon 7970. Which games do you play?

As for the RAM, I concur with the post above.

You may want to wait for Windows 8 to be released on October 26th, it does have an antivirus built in. You don't need to pay for an antivirus, just get Microsoft Security Essentials.

3939.png

#5 crackjuice

crackjuice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

Well DJBPace07 The reason that I am dead set on sandy and ivy bridge is because I have the money and have heard that they are better suited for gaming then their cheaper AMD counterparts but I would like to hear your opinion on them, why would I choose AMD over Intel? And thanks for all the help, this really cleared things up for me. I play a lot of different games, I play xbox and I hate not having mods for skyrim so im going to be playing that, BF3, a lot of strategy games like C&C, im looking forward to C&C generals 2 and the skyrim mmo when its released and league of legends I thinks its called, my friends want me to play... but mainly strategy games, or visually appealing games that would look way better on the pc than xbox(which I know is every game but I would stick to MW3 on xbox and start playing BF3 on pc). And yes I have xbox but I have been a fan of C&C, warcraft (before world of warcraft) and dawn of war games since iv been about 7 years old.

Edited by crackjuice, 02 August 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Given what you are wanting to do, I suggest you put most of your money towards the GPU. Once you start gaming at high resolutions, 1920 x 1080 or better, the GPU takes on most of the processing. AMD is usually less expensive, thus, you can use that additional money to get a better graphics card. Keep in mind that the 2500K and the FX-8120 are very similar in terms of actual performance. I use an FX-8150, a slightly higher clocked version of the 8120, and I game with no issues, this includes titles like Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3, and Skyrim. My graphics card, however, could use an upgrade, but I can still play games on high with it. Not bad for a Radeon 5850. As for a build idea, you could start with the following...

Case: Antec Three Hundred - This is a fairly standard case, no frills. $54

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - This is a high end AMD motherboard that has SATA 6, USB 3.0, and can take AM3+ CPU's. This board allows for either AMD's Crossfire or Nvidia's SLI technology. If you want to save about $100, you could get the ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 which is nearly the same, but cannot do SLI. If you are going to be using multiple GPU's, I would go for the 990FX as it has the maximum bandwith with two cards. $184

GPU: DIAMOND 7870PE52G Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB - This is a high-end GPU, but isn't an enthusiast grade model like the Radeon 7900 series is. $249

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series CMPSU-650HX 650W - This is a modular PSU with plenty of power. If you are going to be doing SLI or Crossfire anytime soon, I would get a 750W unit. If you want to save some cash, go for a non-modular unit. $109

CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz - The CPU mentioned before. $159

RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB - This is a single 8GB stick of DDR3-1600 RAM. $55

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB - This should be enough space. $109

ODD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - A simple drive is all you need. $17

Aftermarket CPU Heatsink and Fan: XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 - You don't really need this, but it is much quieter than the one included with the CPU. $50

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You can get this, or, wait until October 26 for Windows 8. If you need the PC now, you can use the Windows 8 Release Preview and get upgrade pricing of $39 as it says here. $99

Grand Total: $1,121 (Before rebates, shipping, and includes pricing for Windows 7)

3939.png

#7 crackjuice

crackjuice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Wow, haha thanks a lot, it would have taken me hours to find half of what you have given me here. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users