Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet connection rate

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 origamiguy

origamiguy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

So lately my internet is soooooo slow. i use NetWorx to look at my connection rates. it will go anywhere from 1 or 2Kbs to 0Kbs. it is soo random. it only happens at one place so i dont think it is my computer. any suggestions would be nice.

also my isp has a speedtester on their site but the connection wont let it run and it buggs out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

it will go anywhere from 1 or 2Kbs to 0Kbs. it is soo random. it only happens at one place

Hello origamiguy -
SpeedTest .net is usually your most reliable free quick check of your Download and Upload speeds for general usage.
Have you got Kbps correct, as most tests are done in Mbps and that would convert yours to 1,000Kbps to 2,000Kbps, not 1 or 2 Kbps
I average 13 to 14Mbps = 13,800Kbps which is only average on broadband (via telephone wires) these days
Note that 1MB = Approx 1,000KB in quick conversions - From 1 or 2Kbs to 0Kbs is less than any Dial up services offer (Average minimum at 3 to 5Mbps)
You say >> it only happens at one place << so you seem to use "public commections", unless I totally misread you -

I think you either have a badly infected computer, if this is normal, or a crappy Internet Service Provider, if this is from a static point -
Please reply with your new SpeedTest results and your own opinions -

Thank You -
EDIT for SpeedTest link change only -

Edited by noknojon, 02 August 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#3 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

"Configuration Load Failed" 14 times so far. will update when i get the numbers.

EDIT:: failed several times so i looked up my old scans from speedtest.net these results are from a week ago. also the 'one place' is at my dads( i live in multiple households).

speedtest results from 1 week ago:
.42Mb/s download
1.04Mb/s upload

Edited by origamiguy, 02 August 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hi again -
speedtest results from 1 week ago:
.42Mb/s download
1.04Mb/s upload
This is very odd, as the Download rate is usually much higher than the Upload rate ???
I would have expected the Download rate to be more like 42 rather than .42 as you posted.
Are these from using multiple Internet Providers, unless your dad uses the same ISP in which case your settings are wrong or the computer is infected.

I would first contact your Internet Provider (usually a free call, but a wait and a coffee is required) to ensure your settings are all correct.
Please make the call, and post back so we can see if your system is infected - Do you have any other computer problems also ??

Regards -

#5 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

these scan results are from the same isp(EDIT::from my dads, the only place i scan is there because it is the only place i have trouble). i currently have malwarebytes, avg, and microsoft security essentials. can we further check to see if it is me before waiting on the phone for a year?

and yes .42 is what it says on speedtest and thats why i am posting :/ soo stupid lol

EDIT2:: i never got speedtest to run but i just did their ping test and it was 346ms(ping) with 586ms(jitter?) grade F*
does this mean anything to you?

Edited by origamiguy, 02 August 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

yes .42 is what it says on speedtest and thats why i am posting :/ soo stupid lol << Now Now: Please be nice to me :)
before waiting on the phone for a year? :P Don't I know it - I often complain, but my ISP has a Call Back policy if the wait is over 3 - 5 mins.
Forget your Normal Malwarebytes but go Start > Programs > Malwarebytes Anti-Malware > Tools - There is a listed item called Chameleon Use that
If your MSE is reasonably updated, run a Full Scan there -

I will wait until you tell me if there is another Good computer with Internet connection, and if you have a clean USB Flash device

Please also answer if there are any other "general" operating problems -

EDIT -
Found one problem already "avg, and microsoft security essentials" Please delete one of these and only use ONE antivirus -
Your ping is also garbage - I get 42 -

Edited by noknojon, 02 August 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#7 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

how many chameleon's do i run?

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hi -
Sorry if I was missing for a while (chores needed to be done) -

Click the buttons, one at a time, to attempt to run Chameleon.
Just click on the first button and see if it runs. You'll know it's working if a black DOS window appears, slays malicious programs, and then starts Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
If the first button doesn't work, try the next one. If that one doesn't work, just keep trying until you find one that does!
Then use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as you normally would to run a Quick Scan and remove the malware.

Quoted from the guide to Chameleon usage - In other words "run the version that will run" as it has several updated versions, and the current one will run -
Anything found with the scan that you ran, or with your ONE antivirus program that remains ?
If you tell me which one you deleted I can give you a Full Cleanup tool for it.

Thanks -

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

Hello Just caught you -
Heaps of little questions ----------------------------------------------I left out a few items and then you went to bed or something B)
Are you at Dads or "yours" now -
Is the speed any / much better at "your" place
Both wireless or have you used wired ?
First 3 basic questions-

#10 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

so i ran the chameleon program and got rid of AVG. last night around 11pm my connection 1.72mb/s download. it was soo nice but sould still be faster. i just got out of bed and am back to where i was :/.

me and my dad live together. his and my internet are one in the same. i am useing a wireless laptop but i plugged into the wire that normally goes into the router and had the same trouble.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

me and my dad live together. << You mentioned "other place" - Is connection ever better ??
from my dads, the only place i scan is there because it is the only place i have trouble << Post #3 is where you mention other place -

I need to know if the speed ever gets much better than you have now - It is good / better now as it is early morning and fewer on line -

#12 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

connection is never amazing but it is better than here at my dads. ping is back to 734ms ping as of 5 mins ago. last night it was in the 80's.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

Just did my ping and Download - 38ms ping and 13Mbps D/load -

What do you think has ever been your "estimated" best speed and how much slower are you now -

#14 origamiguy

origamiguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

i would be guessing but i think when we first got our internet we may have gotten 1.5Mb/s. its enough for us to do what we need.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

AVG32 bit Cleanup
AVG 64bit Cleanup
For later to fully clean out your AVG antivirus -

Are you on Dial-up or Broadband ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic