Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Enables itself

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sadj2885

sadj2885

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Fresh install of Windows Xp Pro, on a domain. NIC disappeared randomly the day after the OS was installed, but showed up after a reboot, not sure if this is related tot he issue. The firewall keeps enabling itself no matter how many times i disable it. I would like to avoid disabling the service in services if possible. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2012 - 03:13 PM.
Moved from XP to AV, Firewall, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Corrected typo in your title :).

If you are on a domain...I don't understand

a. How you hope to disable a firewall...it should be controlled by the domain, not individual systems on the domain.

b. Why you would want to do such.

Louis

#3 sadj2885

sadj2885
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for fixing the title.

What the issue is the windows firewall turns itself on every few seconds after turning it off. To answer your questions: A. Unfortunately, our admin does not have the firewall settings configured on the domain, i know its bad practice, but we have a lot worse problems than that in regards to our domain and our GPO haha. B. The firewall being on causes a lot of connectivity issues for us. Adding each and every individual exception on each of the computers would be a daunting task as we have 1000+ workstations. The easiest way for us is to just turn off the firewall.

As for the issue, i seem to have narrowed it down to it being caused by 2 things. One a defective on-board NIC, which has been fixed by adding a PCI card. The other being Symantec Endpoint. If we turn off the firewall and reboot the pc quickly, it will boot with the firewall being off. As soon as Symantec Endpoint loads though, the firewall turns on. I am reinstalling Symantec Endpoint as i type this to see if it will fix the issue. Ill post back when its done.

Thanks for the response.

#4 sadj2885

sadj2885
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Reinstalling Symantec Endpoint seemed to do the trick. Not sure why it would cause that in the first place, but its working fine now. Thanks again.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

FWIW: "Inconvenience" or not...the firewall is the primary security aspect of running a system. Everything...AV, malware protection programs, everything...after the firewall is just additional, supplementary security. I can't even think of a fit analogy to use to illustrate my point.

Oh, well.

Louis

#6 sadj2885

sadj2885
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Trust me i know. Ive asked the admin countless times to let me change security settings to alleviate certain issues we have, but he wont allow it. There's only so much i can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users