Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32bit to 64bit

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

I have a HP 8GB desktop that I had major problems with. I had to do a clean reinstall and had no repair disks or oem disks for it. I only had access to a 32bit oem in which I used to reinstall. Is there a way to get it back to 64bit without buying a new oem windows 7 64bit. Someone gave me a disk that they had made with all versions on it but is now corrupt. How did they make this disk? I can't get in touch with them or I would ask them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

HP and other computer manufacturers no longer include disks with their systems.

They do include a recovery partition which is what you need to use to reinstall the operating system.

Method 1. Tap the F11 key when first booting the machine. You will see the Recovery Manager. If presented with a help screen choose System Recovery. Follow the steps.

Method 2. Follow the directions here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01868333&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004. Although this is for install of software and drivers you can choose System Recovery to reinstall Windows 7.

You can also create disks of the recovery partition. Go to Start/Programs.

Look for HP folders. I'm not sure of the names of the folders. Look through them for anything related to Recovery and creating the disks.

Click that option, go through it to see how many disks you need and what type. When you do create them, have a Sharpie handy so you can label them 1, 2, etc.

HP allows for one set of disks to be made. If you want more than 1 set you can do a disk-to-disk copy. Copies are useful if the original disk gets broken or scratched or lost.

If all else fails you can contact HP and see if they will send you the disks. They shouldn't cost very much.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 August 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

You need to purchase a 64 bit OS. Someone is not legally allowed to "give" you a Windows disc they made.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

If you have a recovery partition there is no need to purchase the Windows 7 disk.

#5 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

I am pretty sure the recovery partition is not a option. I will try these methods you guys have offered although I think it may be redundant. I am pretty sure the recovery partition is corrupt or has been deleted. So it is illegal even if you have a legal key? Thanks for the info.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

If you have a legal key I guess you can borrow a copy, but burning extra copies as your friend did and then handing them out is not legal.

#7 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

If you have a legal key I guess you can borrow a copy, but burning extra copies as your friend did and then handing them out is not legal.

Not a friend. (this is how rumors start. LOL) Best I remember it was a small pc repair shop where I used to live. For that fact the 32bit oem copy i used to boot the PC I am speaking of probably came from the same place. Does this make my copy illegal even after doing the automated telephone registation?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it - truthfully, I'm just trying to remain within the boundaries of the forum :). If you have a legitimate key you're fine.

#9 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

This leads me to another question. What do places that sell second hand or places that ditribute donated pc's do about the same problem?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

To the best of my knowledge they need dispensation from Microsoft.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

As Allan said...as long as there is a valid key/license for the installed O/S...it's not worth worrying about. The key is the checkpoint.

Louis

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

This leads me to another question. What do places that sell second hand or places that distribute donated pc's do about the same problem?

yes Microsoft has rules and laws against this sort of thing ,but they don't have the time and money[well maybe the money ] to wast following up on all the computers people sell or give away

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#13 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

So what I am hearing is, I could probably find a place to make a copy on the net if I looked hard enough. Although this method is illegal I would not get into trouble if I have a legit key. What I would love to happen is the low lifes that wrecked my pc's, which has cost me several $'s and countless hours, to say, " I am so sorry, let me give you a free copy". :hysterical: Big chance of that, right?

Edited by bwrighttwo, 02 August 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#14 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

This leads me to another question. What do places that sell second hand or places that distribute donated pc's do about the same problem?

yes Microsoft has rules and laws against this sort of thing ,but they don't have the time and money[well maybe the money ] to wast following up on all the computers people sell or give away

Microsoft are not a law unto themselves,they cant legislate,they cant rule,they cant investigate.They, Microsoft can only threaten and intimidate. It is federal and state copyright laws that cover this type of thing and quite frankly law enforcement has better things to do than follow up what amounts to a frivolous complaint.

#15 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

I have another pc that has 64bit version. I used the Secunia software to check it and noticed that it has two versions of all programs. I assume this is normal for a 64bit version of windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users