Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Hp Default Installed Crap Programs/defaults/i Don't Know What

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caffeine2600

caffeine2600

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

I just got a brand new HP Pavillion dv5000 laptop. It has a 2.0 ghz AMD Turion, the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphics card, something like an 80 gig hard drive and (for the moment, my dad is buying a lot more) 256 mb RAM. The OS is XP Home.

I'd be very pleased with this laptop, except that HP has loaded a multitude of (AOL, Earthlink (two kinds of each), Wildtangent and other) commercial offers on this laptop, and I've been removing them, but it's an enormous pain. Does anyone know of an efficient way to do this? I wandered into the registry, and as I guessed, (for instance) the wildtangent registry was not deleted when I uninstalled the offer that came with my computer. So I've been filtering down the list, checking for things that I know for sure should not be on my computer. I've gotten a bunch of spyware and adware removing programs already.

There's another problem, too: HP has set something somewhere so that whenever I change my homepage, it is reset to the hp website personalized page with their crappy news. I've tried resetting it in the Internet Options section, through (I think it was) SpywareBlaster, and within the registry at the internet explorer startup register, and every time I do it, as soon as I hit "apply" or the equivalent, the home page changes back to their stupid site. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I've found a file at "C:\SWSETUP" called "BrandIt.ini," which contains a lot of default files and things and one of them would appear to be the startpage. Would it help if I posted the file?

While I'm at it, are there any other basic files I should be removing? Anything in particular to watch out for?

Also, can I delete MSMSG in the registry? I've uninstalled it as a windows component, but I'm afraid that M$ has woven it into some other program I use.

P.S. : There's also this program called "Customer Experience Enhancement." Could there possibly be any reason that I should keep this?

P.P.S. : This website is AMAZING. The tweaks and freeware posts alone make it worthwhile.

Edited by caffeine2600, 09 March 2006 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:59 PM

I discipline starting programs using the spybot advanced mode tools tab "startups".
Slick commercial reminders to spend money bug me too.
Might try unticking those listed one at a time to see
what positive/negative effects result b4 actual removal by the utility spybot includes.

Could be an "overide" configuration preset to effect IE start page thats either
1. been overlooked
2. made conveniently near impossible to reset (oh, we forgot that in our help pages ...)

Locking the homepage is also possible in the spybot tools tab: IE tweaks.
If it can be done there, someone can do it elsewhere I guess.

An efficient way to approach it might be using jv16powertools.
(scroll down here) http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/

A combination approach using
1. the top button left on the jv16 console called "registry tools" which opens by default to
comprehensive list of installed programs.
2. using tools>Registry cleaner and approving the default dialog boxes (2) that precede
the actual scan for errors. Wait for scan to finish, inspect the results.
Green icons = probably safe to remove.
red = better approach cautiously by individual check-highlight-press "reg edit" button
which takes you to the registry quickly to the "effected area".
Choose to delete key, or modify the value, or better yet just know "the score" and
leave it alone, but search around using the clues it'll give you.

btw, edit>select>special select>green buttons will highlight/check all of those.
Press "try to fix" first ... likely it won't, but it's a good practice doing that
b4 you press "remove". I often recognize them as "may as well remove 'em".
A couple seconds later, I close the app, re-open it and concentrate on the rest.
So, take your time. Take one or a hundred out with a click. Best to do it in such a way
that you know what was done so you can check functionality on "it", then move forward.

Edited by phawgg, 09 March 2006 - 11:06 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

Backup the registry before making changes though.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:41 AM

The application does it by default.
Its really a very conservative program.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users