Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 multiple problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Megaturtle76

Megaturtle76

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

I built my own computer a while ago, and it went well. My computer was fast and had a strong connection to my internet via wireless adapter. But as of recently, it has been showing signs of slowing down, and having many other problems. The most prominent of these problems are my internet connection and my memory usage.

My internet has a strong fast connection, but about 4-5 times a day i get disconnected. I am still connected to my own network, but there is no internet access whatsoever. As of the moment, no other computers using this network get disconnected like I do. During one of these,"blackouts," i get random bouts of connection that last for about 45 seconds at a time(normal blackouts last for 7-10 minutes at a time((not including the random connects))).

The other problem is with my ram. I have 2 4gb sticks (8gb) of ripjaws ram, but less than half is usable!

I honestly don't have a clue what to do at this point, but I will include a few pictures of whatever seems useful.

Oh and sorry, i uploaded and re scaled and uploaded these pictures 10 times, but they always come out tiny
Posted Image

Posted Image

Well thanks for any help i get, bie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hello Megaturtle76,

Here are a few links to posts that may be helpful:
The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers and Windows 7 - Wireless disconnects frequently....

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hello,

Did you add any swap file tools that write to RAM? (Have you installed any tools or apps lately?)

With the little info provided I would even remove a stick of RAM and see what happens. Switch sockets wouldn't hurt either as it would ensure a good connection as well as help with the 4GB reserved issue by seeing if a socket or stick is faulty. (32bit max is 4GB but 64bit limit starts at 8GB and up depending on the version.)

You note you built this system a while ago...we talking weeks or months? Did you do a burn-in or just start using the system?

Start with this and get back to us.

Zen

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hi -
As it is a "Home Built" unit, post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at and will verify a few of your questions.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy =<<Follow These Directions

Thank You -

#5 Megaturtle76

Megaturtle76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KLt0GZLCT486mN3Fj7Z0n6d

~holy crap that's a cool program~

I finished my computer build around April 21 this year.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Mate -
The board has been down for its regular general "clean up" and this prevented me from answering your last posts -
If there has been any other questions posted above, please answer to them as well -

One small program I forgot to add is this one - Download Security Check from HERE, and Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please Copy / Paste the contents of that document back here.

Thank You -
EDIT - Your pictures are resized by the forum when you post them, but if you click on them they become larger -

Edited by noknojon, 03 August 2012 - 06:21 AM.

#7 Megaturtle76

Megaturtle76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.43
Windows 7 x64 (UAC is enabled)
Out of date service pack!!
Internet Explorer 9
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
JavaFX 2.1.1
Java™ 6 Update 22
Java™ 6 Update 31
Java™ 7 Update 5
Adobe Reader 9 Adobe Reader out of Date!
Google Chrome 20.0.1132.57
Google Chrome 21.0.1180.60
Google Chrome plugins...
Google Chrome VisualElementsManifest.xml..
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 4%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hi -
I waited a bit because I thought that you were posting back, but you must have removed it -
2 main items are listed for you to take care of -
1. You do not have Service Pack 1 installed yet, so you will not have all required updates -
2. Delete all old versions of Java and keep the current version (7 Update 5) Go Control Panel > Programs and Features Right click on the old and select Delete

Thank You -

#9 Megaturtle76

Megaturtle76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hello,

Did you add any swap file tools that write to RAM? (Have you installed any tools or apps lately?)

With the little info provided I would even remove a stick of RAM and see what happens. Switch sockets wouldn't hurt either as it would ensure a good connection as well as help with the 4GB reserved issue by seeing if a socket or stick is faulty. (32bit max is 4GB but 64bit limit starts at 8GB and up depending on the version.)

You note you built this system a while ago...we talking weeks or months? Did you do a burn-in or just start using the system?

Start with this and get back to us.

Zen

I have and 8000-8114mb page file, but i dont know exactly what you mean by installing tools or apps. I tried the swapping of ram and didn't see any changes, oh and i didn't do a burn in...i'm not the patient type.

#10 Megaturtle76

Megaturtle76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

I'm doing this now, though I do remember installing service pack 1...But whatever has to be done shall be done.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

what you mean by installing tools or apps. << I think he just means programs in general -
Speccy shows - Operating System - MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and it would then list a SP1 - if installed -
You can click on it and read it for yourself -
Remember to install the 64bit version of Service Pack 1 -

I "pinched" this from XP forum and it shows XP SP3 on the Operating System line http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bNEiKrkzcJzKkAgma762BYa

#12 Megaturtle76

Megaturtle76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

AAAAALLLLLLllllright, I am done with updating and only have 1 copy of java left! But um, what is supposed to happen next?

I will include another copy of the speccy test now that things have been updated.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zuvj50AtQEy2bDW02nBVJrq

#13 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi Megaturtle76,

Thanks noknojon for the assist, I'll let you finish your support I just want to ensure we can rule out hardware.

Megaturtle76, a new build a few months old can have hardware issues but they would usually popup earlier. As it's RAM involved and very easy to check for someone who's built the machine I'd just double check anyway doing the steps I noted. Now that you have ruled it out we can continue with the OS and software approach. The only question I have regarding the RAM stick removal is what was the new "Installed memory" usable message on the basic information page? Still 3.96GB?

but i dont know exactly what you mean by installing tools

Some gamers and/or power users install a program that moves the swapfile/page file to a ramdisk and loads it into memory at system startup. A typical amount for this is 4GB. I've done it myself but now that I use a SSD I avoid the extra writes and removed it. (Does it make a difference...depends...don't do much gaming these days so I didn't notice much of a change but it was an interesting project and learning experience for an afternoon.)

As noknojon has been walking you through the software side I'll step back and let him finish.

I hope you get this resolved soon,
Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users