Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Touchsmart 300-1003

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yagwit

yagwit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

I have a currently crippled HP touchsmart 300-1003. I replaced a dead hard drive with a new 1TB HDD. I have available to me 2 sets of touchsmart recovery disks, and Windows 7 Bootable USB drive (made with win7 tool). The official recovery CDs do absolutely nothing but tell me MBR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL ALT DEL TO RESTART. The bios lists my new HDD (can tell because size is now 1000GB). I cannot choose USB drive as first boot in bios or boot order (this pc has two different menus for the same function, idky). Is there a bootdisk I can use to fixmbr? Please be so kind to provide a guide to getting a touch computer running from the begininng. All the advice online seems to be for computers that will go to a recovery screen already. If I could do that I wouldn't need the disks, lol.
I would like to install the touchsmart software but will settle for any windows at this point.

Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to walk me through the process.

1 Hour Later: To use MSWIN7 USB Tool, I had to ENABLE BOOT DIAGNOSTIC from BIOS, power on, let the black screen read Configured 01 usb drive, ctrlaltdel, f10 to bios again, disable boot diagnostic screen, save and continue f5, then hit ESC for tiny boot menu at the HP LOGO, pick USB 2.0 as first boot. The tool started windows as Repair (which I followed MSguide for bootsec and /fixmbr, no clue if that fixed mbr tho) and Install Windows 7. I picked install. More updates to come.

Edited by yagwit, 02 August 2012 - 05:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

hi i would download a hdd utility from the maker of the harddrive ,burn it to cd ,usually instruction on ther sitr on how to do this ,to setup harddrive for first time use,it may just need to be formatted to create that mbr that seems to be missing .
burn it to cd ,usually instruction on ther sitr on how to do this ,,
a list of links to most makers can be found on bleepingcomputers i thought but i couldn't fine i ,i will post this site with links to most makers .good luck
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 yagwit

yagwit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Windows 7 loaded from USB drive. I'm no expert but if MBR was really missing/bad wouldn't Win7 install have failed? The disks are no help. I think they sent me the wrong set AGAIN! I even confirmed the BID# with 2 reps 3 stinking times! I can use my machine but no touchsmart happiness for me...yet. Thank you for helping. I didn't have to use the link this time on MBR because the windows 7 usb tool has repair options with command prompt and some gui boxes.

Edited by yagwit, 02 August 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

quote/ I'm no expert but if MBR was really missing/bad wouldn't Win7 install have failed?

quote/ have available to me 2 sets of touchsmart recovery disks, and Windows 7 Bootable USB drive (made with win7 tool). The official recovery CDs do absolutely nothing but tell me MBR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL ALT DEL TO RESTART. The bios lists my new HDD (can tell because size is now 1000GB). I cannot choose USB drive as first boot in bios or boot order

Im sorry ,sorry the way i read you first post was the win7 install failed on the new drive ,and you couldn't boot from the usb .good luck .!

edit , just seen you edited your first post while i was posting my first reply

Edited by caperjac, 02 August 2012 - 09:26 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

<<The official recovery CDs do absolutely nothing but tell me MBR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL ALT DEL TO RESTART>>

That particular error message is for XP...Vista and Win 7 would reflect "Bootmgr Is Missing", not MBR.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=2100&product=4007372&docname=bph08097

Did you follow the stated procedure above...in creating your recovery disks?

HP does not send recovery disks with the system...if the user fails to create such following HP instructions...I would expect frustration.

Correction...just came across this link, http://www.recovery-disks.com/hp-touchsmart-300-1003-desktop-pc.html . If this is the source of your DVDs, then I think that you need to take it up with HP.

Louis

#6 yagwit

yagwit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the responses. I did contact HP but no refund on the 2 sets of DOA recovery disks. If anyone else had this problem you have to F10 to open bios, pick diag mode enabled, save, restart, have your USB plugged in, black screen detects usb, restart, f10 turn off diag screen, restart, press esc for mini boot menu, pick USB 2.0, boot from Win7.iso on USB (microsoft has a usb tool and a guide for doing so). Then I had to go to HP to download my touchsmart software piece by piece from their website. While probably not correct my machine is working. I used command prompt from the USB repair menu to correct mbr msg http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 . I think it was a dummy msg though! Win7 loaded right away.

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2012 - 03:03 PM.
Fixed spacing on link - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users