Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something is very wrong w/ my computer, please help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 delightfulkittens

delightfulkittens

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

Ok, I'm not quite sure how to concisely describe the problem since it's made up of so many things which have effectively rendered my computer useless. I think it's a virus, but my virus scan didn't come up with anything helpful, so.

Last night I was watching Youtube videos and editing some photos when I noticed I had to tap at the touchpad several times before the computer responded. Then it stopped working completely (ie I could still move the mouse pointer but couldn't click using the touchpad). I switched windows to look for a solution on the internet, but when I clicked at the address bar of Google Chrome the cursor started moving ahead on its own, like someone was pressing the space bar - but I wasn't. This made typing impossible as there were huge gaps between each letter. I switched the computer off and switched on again (thank you, ICT lessons), but the problem hasn't disappeared - only now, the mouse pointer occasionally disappeared when stationary. It was getting late so I switched it off again and went to sleep.

This morning as I was starting it up it was making bleeping noises it usually makes when I plug it in/unplug it from power. I tried to type in my user account password... and couldn't. The capslock wasn't on, I sure didn't forget the password overnight, but I kept getting error messages and couldn't log on. Worse, when I tried to switch to an account that wasn't password protected, it kept jumping back to mine after maybe 3 seconds. I finally managed to click on the icon of the second account and logged on.

The touchpad still doesn't click, when I opened Chrome and clicked on the address bar it reacted like I've clicked with the right handside button (so I couldn't type) and the mouse pointer still randomly disappears. I ran a quick Norton scan and it came up with 22 "risks" which it apparently "fixed" but the problem still hasn't disappeared. I would be v. v. grateful for a prompt reply as the laptop isn't actually mine, but my father's (who keeps the bulk of his treasured photographs on the hard drive).

EDIT: I opened it in Safe Mode. the touchpad now works, but random keys on the keyboard have stopped working. Others come up with random combinations when I press them, eg. "tu" instead of "t", "p-]" when I press "-". I can't even reinstall keyboard drivers, because I can't type in my administrator's password.

Edited by delightfulkittens, 02 August 2012 - 09:06 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bedlin88

bedlin88

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Have tried using a different keyboard? That is probably the first thing I would do, or if it's a wireless keyboard/mouse combination put in new batteries.

#3 delightfulkittens

delightfulkittens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

It's a laptop!! So I'll probably use a second keyboard to reinstall the drivers for my original one, but there's obviously more going on that the drivers won't fix.

#4 tcsllc

tcsllc

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

It sounds like the actual keyboard has an issue, not software related. When you said it makes beeping noises when turning it on, it's almost the same as having a stuck key. Depending on the model of laptop you have, I would pull the keyboard out, plug in a USB keyboard and test to see if you get same results. There are several guides out there taking the keyboard off, usually it's a couple screws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users