Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet is slow- is this malware?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 orapaho

orapaho

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:45 AM

I have run malwarebytes and SAS to no avail. I went to speedtest.net and some times I get speeds of 4mbps and others I get 1.3mbps. I am taking modem in for testing with the ISP. Can I use Ccleaner? what is next step?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:59 AM

I get speeds of 4mbps <<
Hi -
Yes this is a very slow reading for broadband, and if this has always been similar it is your Internet connection usually.
My current Speed Test shows around 12 to 14mbps Downloads and this is only average by most standards.

Please see what your ISP says first and we can look at it from there - It may be old copper wires in your telephone system (if you connect via phone lines)

Thank You -

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

What is your rated line speed? For DSL or Wireless 4mb/s isn't that slow but for a cable or fiber optic connection it is very slow. Also does your speed drop only during certain times of the day (ex: between 5pm and 10pm)? If so, it may be a congestion issue with your ISP and not something wrong on your end. Either way, I would recommend contacting your ISP as already suggested and they can hopefully run line quality tests on their end to ensure your line can handle your rated speeds.

#4 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

I Have DSL. MY ISP says that 4mbps is close to what they expect, but not 1. I am taking the modem in today to have it looked at, because I get slower speeds on my laptop (through wirless) than my desktop which is connected directly to the modem. Is there a good way to quickly assess my laptop to make sure IT is not the problem?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hi -
Please visit this site and check your speeds on both your desktop and laptopSpeedTest.net
NOTE: Only click on the middle of the screen that shows, and do not click on any of the surrounding advertising.
Have you ever tested your laptop while it is connected directly to the Modem with an Ethernet cable, or only wirelessly ??
The laptop may / could also be in an area that is affected by other radio / electrical interference and is just not getting a "clean signal" - Try near the modem -

Thank You -

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

I Have DSL. MY ISP says that 4mbps is close to what they expect, but not 1. I am taking the modem in today to have it looked at, because I get slower speeds on my laptop (through wirless) than my desktop which is connected directly to the modem. Is there a good way to quickly assess my laptop to make sure IT is not the problem?

Slower Wireless speed would normally point to an issue with the channel (frequency) your router is using. Interference on or around the channel your router is set to can cause problems such as slower speeds or a unstable connection. Post back your router brand and model and I'll try to find out how you can change it.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:38 AM

>> Slower Wireless speed would normally point to an issue with the channel (frequency) your router is using. <<
I have found that the main reason is usually shielding caused by / distance / electrical interference / radio frequency blocking / solid walls / frequency access to the router-modem by locating it under a metal, or metal framed desk - Only once these are all ruled out then I would look at asking the person to alter their modem settings by themselves -

As it stands the OP is taking it to their ISP to be checked first, so I would wait on the results from them first -

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

>> Slower Wireless speed would normally point to an issue with the channel (frequency) your router is using. <<
I have found that the main reason is usually shielding caused by / distance / electrical interference / radio frequency blocking / solid walls / frequency access to the router-modem by locating it under a metal, or metal framed desk - Only once these are all ruled out then I would look at asking the person to alter their modem settings by themselves -

As it stands the OP is taking it to their ISP to be checked first, so I would wait on the results from them first -

That's what I was referring to. I just grouped them all into one category instead of going into detail about all the different types of "interference" or obstructions different things can cause.

Also, I rarely see the problem caused by residential building materials. Most houses do not have walls solid enough or metal framed walls/desks in their house that could cause it to degrade unless past 75-100feet.

Finally, changing the wireless channel is something that can be done within a minute or two where relocating the router or attempting to "eliminate" a metal object/wall would take longer or simply not be possible.

Edited by NpaMA, 03 August 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

>Most houses do not have walls solid enough < Well, mine has this problem, as there is a pair of double brick walls with wires in them that can cause the problem
Also mine is a multi storey house with reiforced concrete floors that do cause interference unless the modem is placed correctly (centrally) -

These personal experiences are some of the items that I must ask when finding reasons why the problems may exist for others.

Regards -

#10 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

Like you, I was only stating something based on personal experience. In my experience, the problem is normally interference on or around the selected Wifi channel (or perhaps the whole 2.4ghz band).

I never doubted anything that you had said and was only offering up an additional suggestion for him to try.

Edited by NpaMA, 03 August 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#11 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

The ISP says the modem is fine. I did go to speedtest.net, as I have been, and I got 4mps (good for our DSL) This is on my wireless laptop. within 15 minutes I got .66mps but I was running DJ software around the same time. Running applications in the background would affect the speed test, right? I will try the laptop and desktop together side by side the next time I get a slow speed on the wireless.

#12 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Another thing you could try is to connect the laptop to the router with a standard network cable. This would help determine if it was the wireless link that was causing the slowdown, or whether it was some other issue.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hi -
You have mentioned only a laptop that runs with wireless connection -
Is there a Desktop computer that is direct wired also ?? If yes please use SpeedTest 3 times on that computer also and post back with your results.
Link to where I posted SpeedTest >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic463521.html/page__view__findpost__p__2790458

Thank You -

#14 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

I did 4 speed tests on my laptop from a separate room than the modem and it got an average of 5mps, then I did 3 speedtests on the desktop with a direct connection. Its average was similar. here is the latest speedtest on the DESKTOP. My link What really bothers me, is I have a streaming Netflix account, and the Laptop seems to hangup in the middle of a movie several times. If I watch this same movie, over the desktop, there is no hangup.

#15 orapaho

orapaho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

here is a link to multiple speedtests done mostly from the laptop. My link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users