Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Look Out for Fake Windows 8 Downloads

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

I have not read a blog yet on Windows 8 RTM Fake Downloads yet so I figured I would start one now. I went looking for possible downloads of Windows 8 RTM leaked versions on a PC I don't mind getting infected. This PC I use is on a separate network from all of my other machines just for the purpose of figuring out how malware works.

So I found several websites (mostly torrent sites) saying they have the Windows 8 RTM Leaked Version ready for download.

Well on my Test Machine I downloaded (I do not recommend doing this on your own unless you know what you are doing in case you get a virus) several of these leaked versions and guess what I found. Everything BUT Windows 8 RTM. Several of these downloads was the famous Zero Access Trojan, and we all know this is a pain in the back side virus to deal with. Others were fake Rogue Secruity Programs that BleepingComputer.com has a great walk through available.

Some of these sites I downloaded are from well known sites that host downloads.

So basically what I am saying ,"If you want the latest Windows 8 RTM then wait till OCT 26, 2012." This is the official release date from Microsoft.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

Well, I guess if you go looking for trouble you can find it...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

Patient: Doctor it hurts when I do this (patient jabs needle in his eye)

Doctor:
Don't do that!

Edited by Union_Thug, 01 August 2012 - 11:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users