Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office Not Working Properly After Adding User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cape Cod Mama

Cape Cod Mama

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hi and thanks for finding this;

I've had a Dell w/ XP and Office 2003 since '06. Workhorse. Just splurged on a slick little i3 for myself and am giving this horse to my kids.

I set up 2 separate new user accounts so my kids can have their own turf, their own bookmarks, etc, and I can keep one myself as the only admin. I've never set up accounts, but it seemed easy enough (!).

Everything was fine, we thought we were cruising, until my daughter tried to open a word doc on her desktop.

"Please wait while Windows configures MS Office Standard Edition 2003" comes up each time. Then, up pops "A required installation file PA561401.CAB could not be found."

Same thing happens when opening any Office product, even picture manager.

I don't have my old disks here; they are in storage. Any way I can remedy this? Word, Excel, PPT all fully function when I log in, but not from kid account. I trashed the kid accounts and made them full administrators just to see if that would fix, and no luck.

Thanks in advance,
Julie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm afraid you will need the disks and they will be needed for each account you created.
As you found out Windows configures MS Office Standard Edition 2003 for each new user the first time they go to use it.

You could use Open Office for the kids and have them use it instead.

The Free and Open Productivity Suite
http://www.openoffice.org/
Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

And if you already have files from another office package - OpenOffice will probably read them with no difficulty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice
It can also handle other file formats including those from Microsoft Office.

Hope this helps
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 August 2012 - 12:37 PM.
fix spelling

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Cape Cod Mama

Cape Cod Mama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thanks, Roger. Great work-around. I just put Open Office on there and everyone's happy until I can get those old disks.

Thanks for saving me hours of trolling google for answers :)

- Julie

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Glad it worked for You.
Thanks for letting me know how you made out.

Best Regards
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Cape Cod Mama

Cape Cod Mama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hi Roger (and whoever else sees this);

I got the Office 2003 disk out of storage. Can someone walk me through what to do? I inserted it at the retry / cancel point after opening a word doc, but it doesn't do anything.

Does the software need to be installed to each kid's account, or to my admin account? Does having 3 users count like having 3 computers, and will it put me over the limit of how many times I can use this Office key #? (I have this one one other machine).

Thanks,
Julie

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

try putting it in first, before starting Word, and when the Please wait while Windows configures MS Office Standard Edition 2003 comes up hopefully it will find it. If not it should allow you to browse to where the CD is and find the folder with the required .cab file

It shouldn't need or be asking for the key. It is already installed and activated.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 Cape Cod Mama

Cape Cod Mama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

That's it! Thank you, again, Roger!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic